Japanese Knotweed

I've been going after some japanese knotweed for about 2 years, with little success. Just now I'm looking at whole crop of little red leaves popping up from the ground. I've read that hitting them with extra strength Roundup while they are flowering can be effective. Are these little leaves "flowers", or do I wait until they are fully grown, with actual flowers on them?

Thanks. JP

Reply to
JayPique

Never let the knotweed get any top growth or all you will ever do is annoy it.

Reply to
bamboo

I just bought some 50% glyphosate solution (Round-Up) that I'm going to use. We'll see. Thanks for the reply.

JP

Reply to
JayPique

Oh, I've just got to de-lurk on this one, having just managed to get rid of some of this noisome stuff.

Never, ever, EVER let it grow. I used "Brush-B-Gone", the refill kind that you dilute yourself. Dilute it to half- strength, wear gloves, and spray the new shoots as soon as they show leaves. Do this on a still day, and be very careful not to get it on anything else, including you. It took five years of this treatment before my yard was Japanese knotweed-free, but last year I didn't get any shoots at all.

And let me say, I don't use poisons or other chemicals in my garden at all, as a rule, but this was war! I'd tried just pulling up the shoots and as much of the roots as I could, on the theory that it would eventually wear itself out, but I was wearing out, and it wasn't even winded.

Reply to
Siobhan Burke

Yeah, I thought I had the upper hand, but mine is coming back ready to take over again. So I have to battle for another year or so. On the other hand there are less sprouts each year so I must be winning........I think..

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck