Japanese chestnut ID

After getting confirmation from the forester who works with our extension service that a tree in the woods in front of my house is not an American Chestnut, we are down to two choices. Those are 1) Allegheny Chinkapin (castanea pumila) or 2) Japanese Chestnut (Castanea crenata???). Right now, we are leaning towards the Allegheny Chinkapin, based on description.

Their reference materials showed no pictures of the female flowers from the Japanese Chestnut, nor have I had any luck finding them on the web.

So, my question is this. Does anyone have any picture that shows the female flower of the Japanese Chestnut? Heck, even a detailed description might help.

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

This might help you:

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

Thanks, that is one of many sites I've looked at. The best part about it is the side-by-side comparison of the various parts. Even though there is a huge difference in the pictures of the leaves, there were still enough differences in what I provided to the extension service that they were still unsure. That was the main reason wanting the female flower info.

If all else fails, I just have to hope for some nuts this fall. The last time it produced was almost three years ago.

Reply to
Retiredff

Try

would appear that Chinkapins burrs form in small grapelike clusters, whereas the Japanese Chestnut burrs will form in groups of 3 or so. the Japanese form's burrs will also form interlocking patterns of hairs
(japanese burr on right)

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Chinquapin seeds are almost like glorified beech seeds...pretty darned small.

If memory serves, look with a hand lens for the presence/absence of small, stellate hairs on the underside of the leaf. If there the tree is likely Jap chestnut. Also, chinquapin has much more narrow, dentate, almost yellowish leaves in comparison to the Jap. chestnut.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

That is the same info I've found. ID'ing by burr won't happen until latter in the season, if there are any at all.

For what it's worth, I believe they are showing the burrs flattened/spread out, after they have split open to expose the nut.

Thanks

Reply to
Retiredff

That helps. I looked for hairs the other day, and saw none. Never even thought to pick up a magnifying glass. With it, I still saw no hairs.

It's a shame that the pages that show the various leaves side-by-side did not have a ruler in the picture. The largest I found on my tree was 6 1/4". If that chinkapin (apparently two different ways to spell it) leaf is close to that size, then the chestnut leaves are huge.

Thanks

Reply to
Retiredff

But, then again, I might be wrong about that :)

Reply to
Retiredff

All this talk about Chestnut trees have spiked my interest, what would you recommend as a good tree to plant for Eastern Washington State

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII

I wouldn't have a clue. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will offer up some suggestions for you.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff