ivy removal - bobcat?

i have a huge ivy removal project on tap this spring.

im thinking i will mow the ivy down as far as i can and then take a bobcat to it.

is there any special attachment i can use with the bobcat or is the best practice to use the standard loader bucket and scrape the ivy and its roots out of the soil? i thought about the tiller attachment so i could till the entire yard at once, but i'm not sure that would work very well.

any help is greatly appreciated, and wish me luck!!!

adam atlanta, ga

Reply to
Adam

Ivy is a total pig of a plant to remove. I doubt that you will be able to get all the roots out no matter what you do. Unless you remove a LOT of the soil to a great depth, I believe it will just resprout and you'll eventually need to use poison on it as well. I've had some success with tree and blackberry killer but even then it resprouts and needs a new dose. I think ivy is just plain evil stuff so I wish you all the luck in the world with this venture.

Reply to
FarmI

The distilled experiences of English ivy removal around Portland, OR:

Kay Lancaster

OR:

the bobcat idea is horrible. Multiple mowings will ultimately work, but the ivy going up the trees needs to be cut at the base and Roundup applied with a paintbrush to the cut. Do this in May for maximum effect. Goats work well as mowing machines but they need to be tied down in the middle of the ivy patch, else they will go eat things.

Reply to
simy1

Why not spray it with RoundUp? Or, cover it with several layers of newspaper (and weigh it down) and the ivy will die in a month.

Reply to
Phisherman

replying to Adam, Karen wrote: Adam, how did this go for you? Did you end up using a bobcat for the ivy?

Reply to
Karen