Is it too early to unwrap a FIG tree

Live in the lower hudson valley - New York State. I think zone 6 . Is it too early to unwrap a fig tree. I would like to get a jump on the growing season. Last year it seemed like it was two to three weeks too short. Had a lot of fruit left on the tree that could not be used.

thanks

Reply to
happyD

If you're around the Catskills it depends on your elevation, use some descretion. Right now even at the lower levels temps dip into the mid teens at night, I would wait at least two more weeks, and even then I wouldn't unwrap a fig tree completely all at once.... make an opening and peek to see if it's beginning to bud out, then open to light, and keep protected from wind... for a while I would rewrap at night.

Reply to
Sheldon

Unwrap it when temperatures have been above freezing for at least 2 weeks, and then be prepared to wrap it back up for any nights with freezing temperatures.

Reply to
Phisherman