Iris Question

This is the first time that I'm digging up my bearded irises to divide, and I noticed that some of them had little holes on on the bottom of the bulbs. Should I dispose of these or are they okay to plant? Also, after dividing, will I need to wait a year before I see flowers?

Reply to
JorgNS

Those are not bulbs. They are rhizomes.

The very old portions of the rhizomes without roots and without buds should be discarded.

If you divided them properly, you should have flowers next year.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

little holes? sounds like you might have small iris boarers starting to feed on and drill into the iris, time to make a bucket of water with a cup or two of bleach in it and wash the iris with it.

Small iris toes will need a year or two before they reach blooming size.

-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

Reply to
Starlord