im new here and need HUGE amounts of help

well i am new here and would like to find out some things,
in my biology class we are having a "competition" to see which grou can grow the best plants with the largest wet mass.
now these plants, one has to live in basic soil and the other will b acidic soil.., i don't know that the the pH level of the soil yet but have a couple plants in mind
BlueBerries (Acidic soil) Azaleas (acidic soil)
if you can help me find out which can do better or if there are an other plants that will do well.., i'll inform you as to the pH level o the soil when we get it so hang tight
p.s-the plants will be grown in a greenhouse
Thanks
Jef
-- urbanbiker
I think we need more info. In particular, for how long will they be growing?

urbanbiker wrote:

i dunno
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

well ok i think fruit will maybe count because if were allowed to us
blueberries, but you never know right?
well i'll try and get more info and find out the pH level of the soil
Thanks so fa
-- urbanbiker

How long is the experiment allowed to run?

im presuming from abourt next couple weeks till the end of the semster
may/jun
-- urbanbiker
The fastest growing plant I have any experience with is tobacco, or its flowering form, nicotiana. Petunias are also fast, and so are nasturtiums but I think tobacco beats them. Oops, forget petunias. They grow fast but they start off very tiny and take a long time to become even small. Nasturtiums, on the other hand, have a large seed to start with. Can you plant a coconut and count it, even if it doesn't sprout?
Tomatoes might equal tobacco in plant mass. Other people should have more suggestions, particularly of vegetables, which I don't grow (except tomatoes).

I dont think we will be allowed to use tobacco..., and the wet mass i
above ground ahah
-- urbanbiker
Andrew Ostrander wrote:

Swiss Chard is probably heavier. Is that what your looking for?
J.R. in MI Wrote:

well yeah its the general idea, but im not sure as to what the pH leve of the soil will be. and ok any one know of a plant that will flouris in basic soil
-- urbanbiker
Both the chard and the mustard grow easily in "basic" soil. Pole beans might be another good one.