Identify this Tree

Can someone identify the following tree for me?

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San Francisco Bay Area).

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bushnell

In message , Bill Bushnell writes

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It does look like it. Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.

Reply to
S Viemeister

True, but some of us have some clue about such things.

The leaves look right, but the bark doesn't, and what may be the residue of the flowers doesn't, either. And I am afraid that lots of other leaves stink!

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

Perhaps a better photo would help to clarify. I'm currently in the US (east coast) and there are a number of stinky Ailanthus in the area which look very like that one.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I wanted to learn what kind of tree this was because I believe my next-door neighbors are growing one or have allowed a volunteer to grow in their garden. Normally I would not be too concerned, but in this case I have solar panels on my roof that are starting to become shaded by this tree. The lost energy generation is not much right now, about

1.5kwh/day, but the loss will only increase as the tree grows larger.

I put together a short photo album showing their tree (first three photos) and a different mature tree that I posted earlier.:

Solar panel shading during afternoon insolation from the neighbors' Ailanthus:

My next step is to discuss this with my neighbors. Their tree is not an ugly tree, and I suspect they rather like the shade it provides, so they may resist the idea of removing it and planting something different in its stead.

With such a fast-growing tree that when mature can be 40m tall, is trimming a practical solution?

Does anyone have additional advice?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bushnell

or neighbors are

lly I would not be

tarting to become

about 1.5kwh/day,

) and a different

n ugly tree, and I

ea of removing it

ng a practical

Reply to
Frank Tyson

or neighbors are

lly I would not be

tarting to become

about 1.5kwh/day,

) and a different

n ugly tree, and I

ea of removing it

ng a practical

Reply to
Frank Tyson

Which group (this thread is posted to two)? What do you want to know?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

In article , Bill Bushnell writes

The one in my garden (UK) looks a bit different - perhaps not quite as tall as the Sunnyvale example, but with a much bigger trunk and crown. A lot of the branches seem more horizontal in aspect rather than the comparatively vertical in your pics. This seems to have helped it have a much more open crown, thus spreading wider rather than grwoing so tall.

Might be the weather; might be a different variety; might be sex?

Anyway, we tend to have it trimmed every couple of years which seems to encourage the spread rather than the height and open out the crown.

The other thing is that it looks rather close to the neighbour's house. If it was my house, I wouldn't want it there. Mine is about 20' from the house - but also on ground 5' higher than the house.

Reply to
news