I want an invasive plant!

I have an area in front of my house that is surrounded by driveway, so any plant would be confined no matter how invasive it is. Right now it is full of lilies of the valley, which are certainly invasive but they don't like it there and get ratty looking by mid-summer.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Something different, interesting and bullet-proof, requiring zero maintenance once established. Won't be walked on much by people, but dogs will use the area. It's raised and steeply sloped so not easy to mow.

The area is 20 ft by 10 feet, east facing, partial sun, lots of water off a porch roof. Zone 5 (Eastern Ontario). Sandy, well drained soil.

I saw a type of bamboo grass on a PBS gardening show, which is the kind of thing that might work. It looked quite attractive.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Dave Gower

A good English Ivy makes a great ground cover. All it needs is the occaisional trim with a weed whacker. We had one that nearly ate the back yard.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

And if you get one of the cultivars (several hundred or so available) it will be even more interesting;-) // Jim

Reply to
Jim W

You didn't say where you live, which would help. Vinca major should grow where Lily of the Valley does. It is virtually indestructable, and spreads like Kudzu. The common sort has blue flowers at some season of the year, and there are pink- and white-flowering varieties. It is usually recommended as a 'shade' groundcover, but moves happily into full sun. It is evergreen in zone 7-8 -- don't know about elsewhere.

Reply to
Frogleg

A cultivated variety..

eg Hedera helix 'Goldheart'. Goldheart is the cultivar. And its a vigourous one possibly a suitable suggestion for the OP's request. It has a gold centre to a darker green leaf. // Jim

Reply to
Jim W

Cultivar is a horticultural abbreviation for "cultivated variety". It is a plant that has been selectively bred for a special feature - unusual or variegated foliage, bloom color, size or time, dwarf size, etc. They are typically given a name written in single quotation marks which distinguishes them from the straight species. For example, Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen' is a cultivar of oakleaf hydrangea that was selected for the size and shape of its blossoms, which tend to be larger and more heavily comprised of sterile florets than the species.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

I grow 14 kinds of temperate bamboo in zone 6 Before I reccomend one I need info on how much dog traffic you are talking.

Reply to
Beecrofter

What is invasive in one place may not be in another. I have been trying to get pachysandra to grow (acidic, shady. moist conditions) but finally determined the summer heat is just too intense for it, but it is invasive in Cleveland, Ohio. My English ivy is growing very slowly (7 years), yet it grows like a weed in Seattle. To find out what is invasive, look in your region. Kudzu is definately invasive in e.TN.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
gregpresley

try goutweed. anton

Reply to
Anton Jopko

Kudzu, if it is able to grow in your area. You said your area is surounded by a driveway etc, oh well forget Kudzu, as it will cover your driveway, and then work on your house, fence, power poles and anything else that is in its path, almost overnight. Not much Kudzu won't cover and take control of.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

Creeping primrose

Reply to
jammer

A ground cover rose such as "Grouse" might be a good choice. It is aggressive, fast growing, incredibly tough and winter hardy. Grouse has small, shiny, dark green--pretty much evergreen-- leaflets. It does not get more than about ten inches high. The flowers are single-petaled ---i.e. five petals-- light pink fading to white, scented, and about two inches across. Once established it needs no special attention. I have had it covering a steep slope in my yard for years. Neither dogs, cats, deer, or groundhogs seem to bother it.

BTW, it has plenty of small, sharp, and strong thorns.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Problem is that it will produce seed and soon escape it's confines - I know this from experience :-( .

Reply to
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

Where can someone buy "Grouse" in USA? The few places that I can find that sells them are all in Europe. There are other groundcover roses available (like "Sea Foam"), but I don't know if these others are hardy in zone 4.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have Johnny Jump-ups. True they produce seeds and they appear in spring= where they should not. After the first grass cuttings, the do not come back. In the flowerbed, I treat the= m as a weed and just pull them. They do not bother me and they are very nice.

Fran=E7oise.

Seamus Ma' Cleriec wrote:

Reply to
Françoise

"Sea Foam is a bit big for a ground cover. It gets to be nearly

4 feet tall. It is very aggressive, in more ways than one. It has the most vicious thorns (prickles, technically) of any rose in my collection (I have about 120 roses.) If you want a barrier hedge, Seafoam is a great choice.

I got "Grouse" from Heirloom Old Garden Roses. I don't know if they have it anymore.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Check Heirloom Roses for Green Snake. My catalog says it is hardy to zone

4/5 with a height of 6" to 1', so maybe you'll have luck with it.
Other zone 4/5 ground covers in the 2003 catalog are the Meidilands (alba, coral, magic, ruby), Pink Bells, and Seafoam, but they are all well over a foot in height.

karen

Reply to
AnonnyMoose

I was referring to the "Bishop's goutweed - aegopodium", not Johnny Jump-ups. Goutweed spreads underground and unless you get every bit of plant out you'll have itforever and ever and ever .... I curse the person who first brought goutweed to the area !

Reply to
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

Mint!... Cant get it out. I planted it without knowing it was so invasive and now.... I'm pulling it out like mad! Dorothy

Reply to
Amberbock