I want an invasive plant!

Take my english ivy. Please, please take it. You'll never have to touch it again. it will take over that section of your yard.... and possibly everything else also.

Susan

Reply to
Susiemw

Mexican tarragon. Handsome plant, delicious in chicken salad among other places, grows like a weed.

Sword fern. I love fern, but in zone 9B this one is too much of a good thing.

Hardy gloxinia. Striking plant with 2-inch orange tube flowers. More invasive than mint, if that's possible. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Green concrete is the way to go.

Reply to
Peter Jason

I would suggest Oregano. It's even growing in the gravel by my driveway. Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

Dave

I'm thinking thyme might be the way to go. It depends on how much sun there is in this spot.

Thyme likes sun and well drained soil. Plus it smells rather nice; has purplish flowers in the Summer. You can snip it back if it gets leggy. I don't know how this would stand up to dogs, but I know for sure that cats will go out of their way to avoid walking thru it.

If it's shady, there is periwinkle (vinca minor) ; very nice bluish flowers in Spring and deep green leaves all Summer.

Have a good one.

Joe Ontario

Reply to
Joe

You could try mint or morning glory vine as a groundcover. You could also use an asparagus fern or boston ivy. That should keep you going...

Ala> Green concrete is the way to go.

Reply to
Alaininsd

Vinca minor!

Reply to
Bill Spohn

You can try a mix of seeds to get an eclectic field? Creeping charlie aka ground ivy aka gill o'r the ground - lovely purple flowers in spring early summer. Very invasive mint clover oxalis (wood sorrel or variations - the purple ones are nice) creeping jenny california poppies or any annual reseeding variety of poppy (you can even use the poppy seeds you buy for cooking - nice pink flowers). coriander wild flowers - any kind. Some native plants (should be able to find seeds in any waste area side of the road at this time of year): pearly everlastings fireweed golden rod wild ginger large leaf Aster solomons seal wild roses jewelweed meadow rue violas caraway

Hope this helps Tina

Reply to
Tina Gibson

This fall I plan to plant equisetum in a planter built next to the pool. I am making a larger pond and removing the pond from that planter box. That large stand of horsetail will look beautiful and nothing will fall in the pool.

It's a structurally beautiful, jurassic plant.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Somebody far more qualified than I relays the following:

My wife has two green thumbs. By osmosis, I would suggest that if you have sufficient sunlight and no permafrost, Lavender is an excellent choice. It grows robustly, stays evergreen mostly, is laden with heady blossoms that bees and butterflies crave and mass for, and, of course, perfumes the ambient air with a soothing undertone reminiscent of white-chiffoned, antebellum ladies sipping mint tea in the gazebo, of a sultry afternoon in Loosianne.

If ye have a moodier climate, Heather would be your pick, then.

Intersperse rosemarie, that woody, versatile, earthy herb. Also, salal,(N.W groundcover, as knickeknick (Chief's smoke). A smoke tree in the center would be good. Eschew English Ivy completely! Muttonfat Ivy's OK, though.

Of course, if you want to let it go native, get a tamer bamboo. That'll fill it up, and quickly. Of course, it'll screen any view behind after five years, or so. Birch trees, (also traveling roots), are attractive, as is Quaking Aspen.

Those are my top picks for a horticultural island, such as you have described. None require any maintenance, unless you are having a severe drought with temps in excess of, say, 95f over weeks. Then, a bucket o' water every coupla days'll do 'em.

Plant now, with a dash of fish fertilizer in the worked hole, and mulch with bark. Come springtime, voila!

Reply to
Privacy, please

Sword fern. Once it's established, it never goes away. However if you want to thin it, change its perimeter, etc., it's very easy to pull up. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

I have never been across the big puddle, so no idea if this would work

- but I like Vinca minor (maagdenpalm in Dutch) - i'll try to fix a pic herewith - it has pretty blue flowers, is evergreen - although, you have variegated versions too - and is just a groundcover that doesn't come any higher than about 6 cm what means you haven't got to trim it like you would have to with grasses or bamboo :) +----------------------------------------------------------------+ | Attachment filename: maagdenpalm.gif | |View attachment:

Hadewych

|> +----------------------------------------------------------------+

Reply to
Mogie

add seedum to the list..... also lilies of the valley.....

Reply to
WARRENRN1

Crape myrtle is invasive?

Reply to
animaux

The king of invasive plants Kudzu Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Cameleon Plant - Houttuynia cordata variegeta [will invade every nook and cranny] Snow On The Mountain -AEGOPODIUM [also known as gout weed, very invasive] Bears Breeches [Acanthus hirsutus] Bugleweed [Ajuga] Perilla - Perilla frutescens [a self sowing herb, a favorite here] Lemon Balm - Melissa officinalis [another invasive herb favorite] Wild Violets Or any mint [uuggghhhhhh]

Reply to
Willow

mint! (also vinca, or almost any plant that spreads by runner or rhizome). What is your zone and climate?

Reply to
dkat

Why do so many people have reading problem? This guy said he's in Canada!!! The place where snow doesn't melt until summer.

I don't think any plant of one type would look good in a 10x20 area. I'd try a combination of evergreens, shrubs and herbs.

I have a east side facing garden in a slope along the deck in zone 5. I've found the following plants doing very well without maintenance.

--Juniper (nice evergreen, not invasive)

--Yew (Grow and spread quickly. like water and shade, evergreen, easy to propagate. Not invasive)

--Dogwood (beautiful winter color, easy to propagate. Not invasive)

--Sumac (fall color, produces lots of suckers. They may take over the island in a few years. Tons of them along 401. You may get them from your neighbors for free)

--Mint (very invasive, I had to put down 5" plastic edge around to control it. Still green now. Good for Mojito Classic)

--Day lily (Very easy to grow. Not spread as quickly as mint. But after a few years, you'll be willing to give some of them away free of charge to whoever wants them)

--Thyme (Just sow those $0.79 pack seeds from Home Hardware in spring directly into your garden, and they'll grow. Put in the most sunny and dry place in your 10'x20'. Not invasive)

--Snap dragon (Nice long bloom period. Grow directly from seed, and reseed itself every year without your labor. Not invasive)

--French tarragon (Easy to grow, but not invasive. Not recommended unless you want the herb)

The hostas, garden phlox, spindle tree (Control Gold), straw berries grow very well without care. But they may not fit your bill.

Reply to
Karen

Can't believe so many posters can't read.

The original poster is from Canada!!!!!!

Reply to
Karen