Hypertufa - Perlite alternatives

I am trying to make some Hypertufa outdoor planters. Perlite is hard to come by except in small (expensive) bags. I found polystyrene insulation at home improvement store. It looks like Perlite. I am wondering if this would work.

No, it won't work with the prills you speak of. You can replace perlite using sand. It can be lavasand or coarse builders sand. Lavasand is red so the hypertuffa may have reddish appearance. Make sure you put pegs in the botton to hold holes open for drainage.
On another note, if you want to use perlite, you can buy it in large two cubic foot bales online, just do a search.