how to espalier a lemon tree

I am looking for some tips to espalier a lemon.
Also, what should I keep in mind when doing this to ensure an optimum crop?
thanks in advance

I dont know anything about lemons, but espalier and optimum crop sounds like it is mutually exclusive. have you done a google search?

-james
I was just looking through a mediterranean gardening book and saw a picture of this being done. Interesting. They mentioned two points; make sure your arbor has wide enough openings to let the lemons hang down for picking and whitewash the bare trunks to prevent sunscald. I thought about trying this until I saw the whitewash part. I hate that look. I guess you could also use some other sort of trunk wrap.
I agree, this is a great way to train fruit trees. In the northern rockies we paint our trees, not lemons of course, to reduce the winter sun burn, but planting next to a building, to espalier, protecting the trunks becomes a summer burn issue. You might try planting shrubs or tall perinneals on the sun side. Steve