How to dilute Acephate

Various mites and bugs are destroying my junipers and Italian cypresses, big time. I would like to spray them with Acephate (Orthene). The HD sells it in small bottles at outrageous prices ("Systemic Insect Killer" by Ortho). It comes in a 8% solution.
On the web I can buy 98% Acephate powder by the pound for only a few dollars.
How much water would I use to dilute the powdered 98% acephate (sold by weight) so that I would get an 8% or 10% solution?
Thank you
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

A pint's a pound, the world around. Or make it easy and convert to metric;-)
--

Billy

So, 1 lb of Acphate is 450 gr and to get a 10% solution I would dissolve it in 4500 gr water (4.5 liter) or 5 quarts of water? Correct?? Wasn't sure about mixing weight measurements (Acephate) and volume measurements (water).
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

--

Billy

Eeeeeeer..... No it isn't Billy. A US pint is smaller than in the rest of the world. An Imperial Pint has 20 ounces, whereas the US pint is only 16 ounces.
FarmI wrote:

How 'bout "a gram [of water] is a millileter, the world around" ;-)
Walter, Buy one of those little overpriced bottles of Orthene from HD. When you use it up, mix small amounts of 97% to the same concentration to refill the little bottle. That way, you have usage directions, and everything is labeled properly.
Bob

Alright, enough dicking around, a real beer drinker asks for ein Ma or une Formidable = 1 litre of beer:-))
He is not drunk, who from the floor, can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies, and can not drink and can not rise.
Sheila, I think it's time for you to cue up "A Pub with no Beer";-)
--

Billy

In article

This is where my argument (in the sense of logic) falls flat. I was rather hoping that you wouldn't bring up this point.
However, this is Imperial America now. We make the reality*! Things are as we say they are. We don't need permission from facts for our findings. I shall continue to measure in American pints and will eschew all but Imperial pints for drinking.
* http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/101704A.shtml
Without a Doubt By Ron Suskind The New York Times
Saturday 17 October 2004
. . . "The aide (Presidential aid) said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality - judiciously, as you will - we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.""
--

Billy

In article

Can you just imagine the nightly news getting this and asking about implications. But what is an implication and why should I care what the beliefs our supreme leader president has. He is the decider decided by the people spoon fed. Wonder what will change when books are overwhelmed by the media. At least the WSJ is sound because media is just TV. Murdoch.......
<
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vA5z-quW2E8

This one is make believe
<
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9-RcQkqp0EU

Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

:-))
Well if you are happy with self delusion, I won't give you any cite's to upset your apple cart. :-)) Just don't accept any American Imperial Pints and insist on International Imperial Pints.

Oh my God! That article is truly scary! That he knows so little that he wouldn't believe someone about the differences between Sweden and Switzerland!!!!!! We all know that history will not treat him kindly but that this putz got to be President in the first place...........
Walter R. wrote:

Do you have any idea how bad Acephate stinks?
I have a can of Orthene 90S out in my garage, tomorrow I'll see if it still has the instruction booklet with it with dilution rates. (it probably doesn't have directions for mixing small amounts)
Do you have instructions from an 8% or 10% bottle? Do you have a accurate scale (like an electronic postage scale)? You want to mix 3 ounces of the powder with enough distilled water to make a quart. That will be about a 9% solution. Weight the powder in the jar you will be mixing it in. Then you will dilute this mixture again to get the .5% (or whatever) rate for spraying it. I don't know where you'll get an appropriate bottle to store the 9% solution. Make sure you label it.
One pound of acephate will treat about an acre, so be careful with the stuff.
Bob
Geeeeeeeeezus, I sure hope to Hell you aren't my neighbor!! Does anyone else see the irony in this post asking about Acephate when Walter uses "rationality.net" in his signature line?
Val

Also see MSDS at this site. http://www.upi-usa.com/upi-crop-protection/Acephate_insecticide.asp Hope there are no organic gardeners near you.

--

Billy

In article

organohosphates were first developed as a military chemical weapon for use against humans.

Could I get a citation on the quote? It's common here in wrecked gardens to give authoritative evidence, when we make an assertion.
The "Green Revolution" of the late 40s has been taking its' licks lately. Everything from killing top soil, to erosion of top soil and the quality of food that it produces, to polluting fresh and salt water, to the superiority of its' yields. True the hybrids do benefit from hybrid vigor but that has nothing to do with the introduction of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides (brought to you by the same people who made explosives during WWII), which besides making us dependent on foreign petroleum, seems to be very bad for our environment and our health.

--

Billy