How long will SoilMoist last?

You know SoilMoist, those polymer hydrogel granules:

you're interested, the NY Times had a related article:
I mixed Soilmoist with topsoil for my lawn. Does anyone know how long this stuff will last? I have no idea. For all I know it could last forever, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
BruceW..1

That would be terribly expensive and probably not that helpful to your lawn. Soilmoist is designed for potted plants and small specialized flowerbeds. I would estimate its useful life at about two years, after which you would probably repot anyway. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Reply to
Iris Cohen

I have written to the company several times to find out what happens to Soil Moist (how long it lasts, what it breaks down to) and they do not answer. I don't want to add anything unknown to the environment, so I have stopped using it, until I get some definitive answers.

Curly Sue

Terra-Sorb, a similar product, lasts five years and breaks down into potassium

ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I did get a reply from the company today (JRM Chemical). They said it's good from three to five year.

Bummer. I hoped it would last for eons.

Reply to
BruceW..1