How is your weather?

We just had or should say are having a weird wet spring. Dew point mid 60's and rain almost every day for about the 40. Never saw moss grow so well. My stone driveway has moss. Moles /voles are working on my hostas big time too.

Not of biblical proportions but never such weather here in memory.

Bill 68 F. at 9:30 AM Dew point 61 F.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Here, we had an unusual June rainfall at the beginning of the month. It was only 0.1 inch, but it was the first time it rained in June in over five years.

That 0.1 inch was not enough to end the drought. Since the beginning of last October (the start of our "rain year"), we've had 9.25 inches. With our usual weather patterns, we should not expect any measurable rain until after the beginning of this coming October. Water agencies are beginning to dictate how long sprinkler systems can run, at what times, and even in some cases on what days. (Some of these rules are quite silly and a few even encourage wasting water.)

Through yesterday, we've had seven consecutive days with temperatures over 85F, four of those days reaching or exceeding 90F. In those same seven days, the relative humidity has dropped below 30%, five of those days going below 20%.

For a more extensive discussion of my climate, see the section "The Locale" on my .

Reply to
David E. Ross

Very cool 3rd of July. Have not turned on AC yet this year. Runner passed me in park this am and said welcome to July. My 2 word answer was, "global warming." I know I made his day, he's secretary of the states Green party ;)

Reply to
Frank

My moss died.

My stone driveway has moss. Moles /voles are working on

After a wet spring its dried out. A little cooler today but largely hot and dry:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Very greatful for the cooler Canadian air. Typically I do not like the heat of July/August, and most plants agree. It is currently 80 degrees, low humidy, partly sunny in east Tennessee.

Reply to
Phisherman

88 degrees, low humidity, no clounds. mid Willamette Valley, Oregon, about 30 miles south of Salem. Cucumbers and squash are exploding out of the ground. Tomatoes going nutso. Eggplants doing good. Peppers not so wure. Cabbages look like they are going to bolt. Onions huge, almost ready to harvest. Potatoes growing like crazy. Corn hates me. Sunflowers everywhere - whose bright idea was it to plant sunflowers?
Reply to
Zootal

I think it has rained heavily here in the Catskills every day since spring started, the ground is so saturated that I have to keep my barn door open to keep mold at bay. My vegetable garden has practically drowned. I've been struggling to keep my lawns mowed between deluges... some areas are much too wet to attempt, my tractors would bog down to their axles. I managed to mow most all of foot tall lawn earlier this week during a lull in the torrents, barely finished as big drops were falling. Today I awoke to a strange sight, SUN! But an hour ago the sky began to darken and it sure looks like I should build that ark.

In less than ten minutes from sun to this:

all the rain has been good to my meadow:

brooklyn1

I suspect that Emilie's moss died too. She is in northern California, where the temp went to 108F, according to the local fish wrap, last Saturday. Those are southern California desert temps.

Reply to
Billy

Yes It has been interesting this summer. The first 3 weeks of June were rather odd: Cloudy/partly cloudy days, with temps in the 80's with HUGE thunderheads above the mountains every afternoon. A tremendous thunder/lightning storm on the night of the 4th. We were camping up in the Feather River Canyon in our tent! People here in the valley all said how Loud and Severe the Lightning was! Well they should have experienced it at the bottom of a narrow 100' deep canyon! It was spectacular. (Also the tent leaked a bit) On June 22 the clouds disappeared and it has been "normally" clear since.

July has been rather usual: nor rain and temps in the 90-100F + range. It was not that hot (108) here Billy as we are generally about 5 degrees cooler that city temps. Highest has been 103. Nights are comfortable in the 60s. Last year of course we had "The Fires" and temps were much hotter: July 7 '08 109deg.

The garden is doing well with the exception of tomatoes not ripening. There are about

20-30 good sized fruits on the plants, but they are stubbornly staying green. Some Early Girl s have been ripening, but I didn't plant EG this year.................. Peppers are doing well, son's corn is loaded with ears, apricots, figs are ripe, and zucchini ( one got out of control and weighs 10 pounds!)

Flowers are in abundance: roses, daylilies, echinacea, BE Susans, Liatris, Penstemon, Phlox, Abutilon, Agastache.......etc. Lilies came and went quickly. Oh and the moss, it will be fine, it is used to the dry and hot summers. It just goes dormant and takes a rest for 4-or 5 months.

Enough. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

that portion of the world generally thinks all is like their area, thus global. At least based on some the replies I"ve read.

Been seeing 100s for many weeks now. Little rain. The exceptional drought continues in central TX. Your water comes from my coastal area, the Gulf of Mexico.

Reply to
Dioclese

Bill,

It is a strange year here in central NJ; cool and wet.

On the bad side--I notice slugs which I have never seen in the ten years I have lived here. Moss is growing on my back porch.

The good news is that the deer seem to be less aggressive this year (presumably there is a better food supply in the woods), also the onslaught of Japanese Beetles seems to be minimal, or at least delayed. In addition most of my spring flowers are still blooming.

EJ in NJ (near Princeton)

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Seems to be the year for unusual weather patterns. Finally getting some rain and cooler temps, which is a good thing as I've been injured and unable to tend the garden.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Sorry to hear that. Hope you mend quickly. Here, we have yet to break above 55F at night. Last night was 49F, and the same is on tap for tonight. Happily, the tomatoes are setting fruit, and I'm getting ready for our second harvest of squash for tomorrow night's schnitzel. Today was in the mid-70s and the rest of the week is supposed to be in the low to mid 80s, with the lows around 50F. Very comfortable weather for people, but not, I fear, for the garden.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks.

Jeff