How do I repair broken branch on Oak tree?

I was just cutting down large pine tree in yard and it fell into my beautiful Oak tree and broke branch....It is maybe 90% broke. can I put splint of some kind? Any advise appreciated.
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:18:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Maybe, certainly possible. If the cambium layer is not completely severed all around, it has a chance. Keep the area clean while it heals--be very patient it will take some months.
Phisherman wrote:

Years, if it makes it.

What size tree and what size branch? With a relatively young tree it will likely put out a couple of new branches at that spot. With a large tree the branch will probably be much too heavy so will be difficult to support until it heals... regardless, if the tree is otherwise healthy why look for trouble by making a place for disease to start... I'd carefully remove the branch.

No matter what the damage one can always bolt,wrap, tape, tie etc things together. The sooner the better think a broken human limb. May not work but give it a shot anyway. Sort of like root layering a gift.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.
Went ahead and cut the branch...was heavy and difficult to support.. The tree is about 18' high and about 8" trunk. Broken branch was at a "Y" in 1 1/2" branch. Should I put paint or something on it?
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 02:05:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Do not apply anything. It will heal over if kept clean.

And be sure the cut is slanted thusly: / |
The break in branch was at a Y, it split in middle, so the split is about 4" long in a 1 1/2" branch.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com;849106 Wrote: > I was just cutting down large pine tree in yard and it fell into my

> put

I doubt that it is worth the effort. You don't say how old it is or give any indication of diameter. Up to an inch you could save it possibly by splinting, but you would have to do it every year for several years until the bark has grown thick enough to support it. If it much thicker than that you would have to be desperate to want to save it and I doubt that there is anything you could really do about it. You could try a tree surgeon, but remember surgeaons like to cut.
Bigal
--
Bigal