How Cold Is Too Cold For Leaf Lettuce?

A week ago I planted some black seeded simpson leaf lettuce. As fate would have it, tonight they issued a frost and freeze warning for my area with temps. getting down to 29 F. My lettuce is about 1/2" high. Do you think if I cover it that there may be a chance it will survive? The next three nights are going to be around 30 F. here.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Temps in the 28-32 degree range will generally not bother lettuce - it's consider a "half-hardy" crop.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I'd think about getting out and misting your plants with water from a hose about 4:00 AM. Then 5, 6, 7 . This will also let you have outside water on. I've got tomatoes out.

We are going down to 34-36 and that's what I intend to do. Looks like

2 maybe 3 days then more normal.

Currently gust about 30 MPH or so and oak pollen everywhere like a storm.

Reply to
Bill who putters

My wife is having eye surgery tomorrow early in the morning so I won't have time to mess around much with the lettuce. I'll cover the plants tonight and hope for the best. One good thing about lettuce, if I do lose it to the frost, I'll just throw down some more seed and in three days I'll have lettuce again :) I'm in central PA and we have been having high winds also. Looks like around Tuesday or Wednesday things should be more back to normal for both of us. I wish you luck and hope you make out well with your tomato plants. I may put mine in later this week.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Where you live (NJ) it's about 2 weeks too early for sowing tomatoes directly into the ground... should have planted small pots that could be moved outdoors during daytime to harden off but brought indoors at night. I think most everyone in the north east begins planting too soon, they haven't developed patience... I used to do the same but after so many years of wasting my effort and resources I've learned to wait.... it's better to plant late than early... not only does the air temperature need to be warm, it's even more important for the ground temperature to be warm. Here in the Catskills it was 36ºF this morning, the ground is damp and just as cold... way too soon for tomatoes. Some crops, like beans, peas, cabbage, lettuces, etc. can be sown now but here the ground is still too wet to till.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I have a tendency to push the envelope when it comes to plants. Think micro-climate manipulator. Also my scale is 10 tomato plants. 2 big ones wife gave me 3 cherry type and of course marglobes. Guess I am just crazy like the guy over in Swedsboro that has what looks like 10 acres of tomatoes with black plastic but mine have love. Main issue is basic lack of sun.

Just out transplanting some moon flowers and red morning glories ( For the hummers!) but each one was placed in a protected niche. In a way my whole garden is a protected niche with thought and mistaken placements.

Reply to
Bill who putters

There is every chance of it surviving 29F and it probably will not need covering. Although we often eat lettuce in warmer months it is actually easier to grow in cooler conditions.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You are advising sitting up half the night hosing the garden when it is 29F.

It would be much more efficient to hire a crop duster to fly in and spray the patch hourly, that's what I would do.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

No I am suggesting you get up at 4 am and see if a hose needs to be sprayed.

Reply to
Bill who putters

This is very true... in warmer weather lettuce tends to bolt.

Reply to
brooklyn1

There is an excellent chance the lettuce will be fine without attention. There are a dozen ways you could put a temporary shelter over them if you were really worried. But you want to get up in the freezing cold and spray them at 4, 5, 6 and 7 AM. I prefer to think that your are pulling my leg rather than you are a crazy sonambulist.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I don't think I'd enjoy staying up from 4 till 7 spraying a 3" x 36" strip of lettuce. But the crop duster idea sounds like the way to go! It shouldn't cost much at all especially if he charges by the size of the plot :) ...........LOL

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Oh so true. One year a warm spell occured and the darn heads I was just ready to pick were gone. Took off for cooler climes I bet.

Reply to
Bud