Horseradish in Containers?

I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.
Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown within a container?
I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I used a wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.
I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the inside for regrowth in the next season.
Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?
Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?
Zone 6b, Kentucky, as always.

Yes
It's fine

My climate isn't that cold but i think the top will die off and the roots go dormant through winter. If you want to be sure keep some roots over winter.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks! :)
On Feb 22, 10:55�am, Scott Hildenbrand

You really need a container without a bottom... horseradish will grow well contained inside a buried clay chimney flue liner.
Sheldon wrote:

Hmmm.. Ok, I'm game for trying that..
Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What the heck is the difference?
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

I've noticed that the fresh h'radish roots at the supermarket are showing some little green sprouts at the crown. I'd just buy a root at the store and use most of it and plant the crown. (I've been considering doing just that, but I don't want it to take over my garden)
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Yeah, that's possible so long as it's fresh root.. What's the price on it at the store?
Starters I'd found are around 3 crowns for $5 or 5 sets for $6.
I'm assuming that the sets are the offshoot roots.. Wonder which would be better to grow off of.
As for taking over the garden, that's why I was asking about keeping it in containers.. ;)
I've got several rubbermaid containers used during moving that I can drill holes in, dump rocks in the bottom and fill with soil.. Was thinking of just growing them out in there.
Would certainly make harvesting easier..
I have grown it in my garden for years and it hasen't taken over. I just till along the row to keep it where it belongs and I crop 1/2 the row one year and the other 1/2 the next. I replant the crowns where I just dug them. That way I get nice big roots.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Any bit of root that is still alive will do.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

How small are you talking. If I cut a root up into say 1" pieces would it grow? thanks -Doug