Horseradish in Containers?

I love horseradish.. Just love it.. Not that crap sauce that's mixed with mayo.. The good stuff that's blended up into a spicy paste.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway.. Since it seems invasive I was wondering if it could be grown within a container?

I don't see any reason why not.. Seems like a good idea, and if I used a wash tub type of container it'd be wide and allow alot of root growth.

I figure then I can harvest the outside root growth and leave the inside for regrowth in the next season.

Sound like a plan, or am I nuts?

Hmmm.. Would I have to bring it in, or could it winter outside?

Zone 6b, Kentucky, as always.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Yes

It's fine

My climate isn't that cold but i think the top will die off and the roots go dormant through winter. If you want to be sure keep some roots over winter.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Good deal.. Sounds like I was spot on with that idea.. Thanks! :)

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

You really need a container without a bottom... horseradish will grow well contained inside a buried clay chimney flue liner.

Reply to
Sheldon

Hmmm.. Ok, I'm game for trying that..

Question.. When buying starters, should I go with sets or crowns.. What the heck is the difference?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I've noticed that the fresh h'radish roots at the supermarket are showing some little green sprouts at the crown. I'd just buy a root at the store and use most of it and plant the crown. (I've been considering doing just that, but I don't want it to take over my garden)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yeah, that's possible so long as it's fresh root.. What's the price on it at the store?

Starters I'd found are around 3 crowns for $5 or 5 sets for $6.

I'm assuming that the sets are the offshoot roots.. Wonder which would be better to grow off of.

As for taking over the garden, that's why I was asking about keeping it in containers.. ;)

I've got several rubbermaid containers used during moving that I can drill holes in, dump rocks in the bottom and fill with soil.. Was thinking of just growing them out in there.

Would certainly make harvesting easier..

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I have grown it in my garden for years and it hasen't taken over. I just till along the row to keep it where it belongs and I crop 1/2 the row one year and the other 1/2 the next. I replant the crowns where I just dug them. That way I get nice big roots.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Any bit of root that is still alive will do.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

How small are you talking. If I cut a root up into say 1" pieces would it grow? thanks -Doug

Reply to
Doug