Help-Yellow Jackets!!!

We have a ton of yellow jackets around this year! We did spray some of the nests but one is in our cellar window well. They seem to have found an opening into the framework around the window and are somewhere inside the cement block foundation. They are constantly flying in and out all day! We tried spraying but we don't see an opening,they are so quick! Is there anything else we can do to eliminate them?They are in an area where my dogs are kept so every time the dogs go near they attack!ANY help would be appreciated! Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie

If you can find the crack where they are going in and out, use a pesticide *dust* rather than spray. I usually use methoxychlor 50WP, but Sevin 10P should work (Sevin stains carpets, so be careful with it) Apply the dust dry, so the wasps will get it on their feet when they walk thru and will track it into the nest. It'll kill the whole hive in a day or two.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

A previous thread suggested using a shop vac near the opening (running all day) to cut their numbers down. I agree 100% with the use a powder instead of a spray.

Reply to
Jmagerl

One horrifying weekend I killed over 250 of them in my house. If you have a nest in your foundation that you can't find call pest control to do the job.

Silly as it sounds, the last few years I've hung fabric softener sheets around my porches and windows as a last ditch effort to keep them away and had good results. Hanging them next to new nests still under construction actually caused the yellow jackets to abandon the nest, but I don't know how effective it would be to eliminate an established one. Use poison to get rid of them and give the fabric softener sheets a try around the dog area as a deterrent - good luck.

Karen

Reply to
Anonny Moose

Reply to
Bonnie

In the past I have been able to somewhat control yellow jackets with the traps they sell in hardware stores, etc. You put a small amount of apple juice in the bottom. They fly in and can't get out. This does involve emptying and refilling the traps. This won't get all of them, but will hold down the population depending on how many of these traps you put out.

Sherw> We have a ton of yellow jackets around this year! We did spray some of the

Reply to
sherwindu

cut 3 inches out of the bottom of a 1 gal milk container ...fill with

3/8 inches of gasoline ...place right under crack where the yellow jackets come out ..they will get woosey and drop into container ...hang with string or coat hangar wire by drilling hole in sidewall near top edge if must be hung

takes about 2 days to get them all ... repeat if new ones hatch from hive

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

Reply to