Help needed - What is wrong with my tree?

Hi all,
I moved to my current house at the beginning of this year. There are a couple of trees in the garden, but as we have gone through spring one of them has failed to grow any leaves. It did have a small sprout at the end of one branch right at the beginning of spring but this soon died. More recently it has started to sprout growths on the trunk, but not on any of the existing branches. Here are links to some pics (you may need to scroll down a little):
http://tinyurl.com/4v5h5u http://tinyurl.com/3z68eb http://tinyurl.com/3wb3gr
I have two questions: what is likely to be wrong with it, and what do I need to do about it? I am completely inexperienced at gardening.
Thanks for your help.
--
Henley Birder

Appears to be epitomic branching, top is dead. What is your location, and do you have an ID on species?

Make that epicormic branching, dang spell changer.
Don Staples;800147 Wrote:

Hi Don, My location is Henley-on-Thames. I don't know the species, but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?). Thanks for the info.
--
Henley Birder

Henley Birder wrote:

If it's either of those, it's time to plant a new tree. Both of those have relatively short lives.
Tom J

I agree, and would not suggest I could prescribe across the sea, on a species that may be unfamiliar. Epicormic branching is a result of other problems.

Peach trees will produce about 20 years and are relatively short lived, but cherry trees can live and produce well over 100 years. But regardless, from that picture that tree's bark doesn't look like any cherry or peach I've ever seen... I seriously doubt it's any kind of stone fruit.
Peach trees have short life for many reasons humans must account for. many issues of peaches such as pruning and fertilizing is here:
Many peach tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.
Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html
Improper Mulching - http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Improper Pruning http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.
wrote:

Peach trees will produce about 20 years and are relatively short lived, but cherry trees can live and produce well over 100 years. But regardless, from that picture that tree's bark doesn't look like any cherry or peach I've ever seen... I seriously doubt it's any kind of stone fruit.

but it has been suggested could be a peach or cherry tree(?).

for the info.
I'd guess at an almond (Prunus dulcis), rather than a peach (Prunus persica) or cherry (Prunus avium, Prunus cerasus, Prunus padus, etc), but that certainly seems to be in the right ballpark.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Henley Birder wrote:

Mine were caused by the severe drought in our area this past year. What I am doing has worked in the past. I'm keeping all the "water sprouts" snipped off that are more than a foot or so below where the original limbs start. I will wait until the leaves start dropping from the new growth this fall to take out all the old dead top. If it's dry where you are, give it a good ground soaking every couple of weeks. Had the same thing happen several years ago and those trees are still alive. The difference is, mine are very old dogwoods, but should work for you too.
Tom J