Help, Eggs in soil - what are they?

Hi everyone, I hope a lovely knowledgeable person can help me!

I potted a rosemary bush about 6 weeks ago. Today I decided I didn't like it's location so I dug it up to move it, but horror of horrors, found a large weird clump of eggs, which look very similar to pearl barly (but yellow), all stuck together with a white paste. Is anyone able to tell me what these are? Thanks

spearec