have groundhogs?

Hi-

strange posting you may think, but I'm looking to adopt an orphaned groundhog. I'd like a pet groundhog and am looking to pay someone for their "garden-unfriendly" baby groundhog.

I know that a lot of people might not think this is a great idea, but I've done a good amount of research on it and am willing to give it a go.

I don't want to go and just take one from the wild, but I've been told that come October and November a lot of groundhogs become orphaned when their mothers get hit by cars, shot or otherwise disappear.

I live in New York and would be willing to drive (a reasonable distance) to come pick up the goundhog. However, because I'm raising the animal in captivity, I need to start with a baby groundhog rather than taking a full grown adult out of his element.

If you've got some groundhogs that you might not want and you'd be willing to trap him HUMANELY, I will be willing to pay for the little guy.

Thanks, marianne snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

Reply to
glowworm

I think it's the wrong time of year to find a baby. Late winter/Early spring is your best bet. That's when the couple down in my backyard have their babies. Hudson Valley by the way.

Reply to
Tom Randy

Do you really have a pet groundhog or are you pulling my leg?

Reply to
glowworm

Do you really have a pet groundhog or are you pulling my leg?

Reply to
glowworm

It's supposed to be easier to live with a highly social prairie dog than with a comparatively antisocial groundhog, but way back when I had a housemate with a pet prairie dog, cute as the devil was, the key word there is "Devil" rather than cute. Destructive, smelly, hated being caged so very noisy if not let out, & when fully mature, dangerous to strangers. Groundhogs can make interesting pets but it takes a special sort of weirdo to not mind having ones stuff destroyed & getting bitten now & then. If not neutered or spade, they WILL manifest many difficult to forgive wild animal traits at maturity, & sometimes get unamanageable even if they are "fixed."

Still, many people live with semi-tame groundhogs in their gardens tell wonderful positive tales of happy interactions (less happy tales from people who try to keep them indoors). If one's gardens are large enough, they're not TOO destructive of garden plants overall, especially if used to getting their main food from people. There is quite a lot about pet groundhogs throughout this website:

'd recommend you connect first with wildlife rehabilitators to see if they need volunteer help. Raising an orphan for release will give you some expertise that will first of all probably change your mind about keeping one permanently. But if it doesn't change your mind, rehabilitating will also put you in the way of perhaps being able to keep one, as occasinally an orphan is injured & permanently crippled so cannot be released to the wild. If not so injured, keeping them is otherwise discouraged by rehabilitators, and in many places would be illegal.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

On 5 Oct 2003 09:11:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com (glowworm) wrote:

Reply to
Coal Porter

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com (glowworm) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'm pulling your leg. :-)

The only thing I know about pets is if you stop feeding them, they start to smell funny.

But did you check out the local wildlife rehab center to see if they had any loaners before you jump in with both feet?

- S

Reply to
Salty Thumb

thanks for all of your help!