Growing Tobacco

As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two plants this spring myself. It seems to be very easy to grow from what I've been reading on the net. The big problem seems to be curing it which can take a very long time depending on the method used. I'm considering sun curing which seems to be the quickest curing method. I plan to harvest the leaves from the bottom of the plant up as they begin to turn from green to yellow. I'll cut and tie the leaves in small clusters and hang them in the sun for two or three weeks after which I'll then transfer them to my basement where they will be hung from the rafters. I plan to chop them up as needed in a food processor and roll them into cigarettes or smoke them in a pipe. I even considered another alternative to sun drying but not sure how well it may work. Harvest the leaves and hang them directly in my basement. Then use a food dehydrator to dry them as needed. Can anyone give me any ideas to ponder???
Rich from PA zone 6
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Growin' tobacco makes as much sense as getting a web cam for your computer, so that big brother can watch you. Hey, if a school district can do it, do you think Washington won't? http://www.democracynow.org/2010/2/22/headlines#10
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:03:13 -0500, White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Sounds like a lot of bother unless you can sell some. Tobacco plants are finicky.
I've also thought about this. The tobacco I'll be growing is a big beautiful plant with lush green leaves and beautiful flowers. I could place a few at the end of my garden for decorative purposes and also as a conservation piece. I don't think many folks here in the north east ever even saw a tobacco plant let alone one in bloom. Tobacco seeds are very tiny, about as fine as ground pepper so I'm told. Perhaps I could then allow my plants to go to seed and then harvest just the seeds. From my understanding, each pod contains about 100 seeds. That's a lot of seeds from a few plants! The seeds could then be used as a barter item in a future economy that seems to be getting worse with each passing week month and year. There are a lot of tobacco users out there who can't buy their tobacco products when they don't have jobs. Smoke some, perhaps. Harvest seed to barter, perhaps. Seems to me that this plant could have lot's of possibilities now and in the future.
Rich
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

The Amish in Lancaster county Pa. grew/grow lots of Tobacco.
<http://www.fotosearch.com/STK021/ajn13047/
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav
On Feb 24, 9:36am, White snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Haven't you ever seen all the covered tobacco fields in CT? I worked in them one summer as a kid, Miles & miles of gauze tents. They put them in barns with slats in the sides that they could open, but I dont know when or why they were opened. Tied in bundles, actually sewn onto lathes, and hung. Maybe some research could tell you what their method is. Each plant is tied to an overhead wire running the length iof the row. Sometimes we coulodn't see the end of the row til we were halfway down it. as the plant grows we went down the rows twisting the string in between the leaves to keep them friom breaking. falling over in the wind. They were used mainly as cigar wrappers. Good luck, and btw I think it is legal to grow a certain amount of tobacco for personal use. Nan in DE

I don't know why any intelligent person would want to grow tobacco but it's done all the time. http://www.growtobacco.net /
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:12:06 -0500, brooklyn1 ...

Tobacco is evil. My federal health care plan is simple and cost nothing: No more tobacco.
I've heard it called "The native American Indian's revenge to white man."

Tobacco taxes more than pay for government insured health care. It's the lack of tax on Doritos and Big Macs that make government backed health insurance schemes costly.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/09/19/soda_tax_its_the_real_thing /
How about a tax on each bottle of soda also?
Money talks (so says the supreme court)
Charlie

Well I once thought of it but it has always fallen thru the cracks. March 6 I'm 62 and my kids are giving me a pair of high tech snow shoes. I got waders and 3 ft. High boots but I need to get about and knock snow off a lot of plants. Ticker issues. Failed miserably this year.
Never seen it like this and had the driveway plowed 4 times first time in 35 years I did not dig out. El Nino and Al Gore may be on to something. More comfort food this night. Still the power never whimpered and that is wonderful. Just found out oldest 35 got a ring last night looks like three weddings in the next year. When it rains it pours. We are HAPPY.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:12:22 -0500, Bill who putters

Ticker issues trump snow issues and that just might not be considered failure, just prudence and adaptation to realities.

THis is the first year also that I have not cleared the drive in twenty years here at the home. Kinda figgered that my ticker trumped the budget concerns and they could just spring for the clearing finally. Good call on my part considering all the snow and cold.

? Gonna make me guess ?

Your backup get going yet?

Have your dancin' shoes ready?
Blessings upon you, my Brother. Charlie
--

For the couples (and their parents)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iPpgyEh8WM

Yes but I still think I will live forever. Just in from moving some snow mixed with driveway stone. Looks like a touch up in spring is in order.

Spaghetti Carbonara
1Whole egg and one yoke Mixed with Hard Italian cheese Parmesan Romano type Should look like boiled corn meal mush Yellow
Bacon or Panchetta 1/5 lb. Heavy Cream i/4 or 1/2 cup
4 tablespoons of butter
Cook Bacon and leave some fat add some heavy cream
Boil your pasta I lb. Drain
Add butter to hot pasta Melt Add egg and gratted cheese Move around to cook Add Bacon and cream Mix
Some cheese to top with
Serve with bread and wine

Gas fireplace part on order.
This looks neat but $2000
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1DZNDFK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid67470264&sr=8-14>

Dancing fool. Frank went way too soon!!!!
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trqfeg-5Duo

You take care Best!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Error should be 1/2 lb. bacon or Panchetta. Panchetta worth price. BTW
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

its the sugar and carbs that will kill you. not just stop support for corn syrup, tax the hell out of it. Ingrid

on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

If someone is having difficulty affording cancer sticks, wouldn't a more effective solution be to stop smoking?
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
EVP MAN wrote:

If you or a nearby neighbor has a garden that grows tomatoes, please don't grow tobacco. It often carries the tobacco mosaic virus which will transmit to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, some flowers and other food crops.
gloria p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_mosaic_virus Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is an RNA virus that infects plants, especially tobacco and other members of the family Solanaceae.
Solanaceae is a family of flowering plants that contains a number of important agricultural plants as well as many toxic plants. . . The family includes . . . Capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), Solanum (potato, tomato, aubergine or eggplant)
If your willing to lose your and your neighbor's chili peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants it shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe you could be a good guy, and help save a little bit of the world while your at it: and grow organic.
just get TMV free seed. it is just as likely that the tomatoes, etc will carry it to the tobacco. actually it takes a lot of mechanical damage to introduce. tobacco must be hand suckered to get nice big leaves.
and BTW, the sheds are opened during "casing weather" or during the Jan thaw so the leaves can absorb enough moisture so they can be packed without breaking. Ingrid

on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago