Ground cover toughest, flattest?

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.
After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.
Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.
This is So. Calif coastal.
TIA
HB
On 6/14/13 10:40 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

Cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana, also known as P. verna).
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Don't know what grows there. Here in NJ we'd plant Pachysandra (about 6") or Vinca (about 4").
They keep most other plants out without any work to speak of.
--
Dan Espen

On Friday, June 14, 2013 5:27:13 PM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:

will also look at cinquefoil. Dan, the ones you suggested are too tall; I need something really, really flat, but thanks a bunch. HB

Moss,
--
Dan Espen

Higgs Boson writes:

Without knowing the square footage no one can offer more than wild speculation... "short" and "small" are meaningless drivel.
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:48:03 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Yo, Brooklyn, ease off with the "meaningless drivel" <g>.
I went to our nabe stone yard today and was glad to see that they have broken flagstone for reasonable $. I am going to draw a map for the sales person; in the process I will have square footage for thee.
Now have a nice Father's Day (if applicable).
HB
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:20:45 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

I knew flagstone was reasonably priced when I originally suggested it... and it needn't be fancy schmancy stone for a rarely used path... and all flagstone is broken, that's what flagstone is, only some idiots decided it looks better diamond sawed all the same size/shape. I think flagstone looks nicer in its natural state, random configuration. http://geology.about.com/od/mineral_resources/tp/Where-Rock-Materials-Come-From.htm
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:31:21 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

http://geology.about.com/od/mineral_resources/tp/Where-Rock-Materials-Come-From.htm Great site, thanks! I think the broken flagstone is going to be my solution. I just hope, at $20/SF, it doesn't add up too much. The lady that showed me to the stuff reminded me to have the yard guy pick out nice pieces. Rather than just measure, I'll print out a pic on my color printer and show to yard guy.
Now to price creeping Thyme or similar.<g>
HB

So you're looking for non-plant material? If you end up with spaces between stones or some such, you might consider wooly thyme. It's very low to the ground, has cute pink flowers, and can take some foot traffic.
Patty
On Friday, June 14, 2013 5:12:23 PM UTC-7, Patty Winter wrote:

HB

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:40:51 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

Flagstone is attractive and requires no maintenence. Pebbles/gravel is ugly, screams CHEAP, and you'll forever be retrieving migrating stones.
On Friday, June 14, 2013 11:13:32 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

against a neighbor fence.

ver-ride.

Yes, been there, done that on another path.
Flagstone very tempting but expensive for a small, out-of-the-way area rare ly used.
Was also thinking round (or preferably hexagonal) stepping stones, but have to deal with area in between and around. I know there exist plants sold s pecifically to fill the cracks between stepping/flagstones. First need to check if local place has broken pieces cheaper.
Tx for suggestion.
HB
On 14/06/2013 18:40, Higgs Boson wrote:

is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

Bit puzzled why it needs to be very tough if it is very rarely used.
I don't know if it is called the same thing in the USA but what about wooden decking?
--

Jeff

On Friday, June 14, 2013 2:19:19 PM UTC-7, Jeff Layman wrote:

is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

Needs to be "tough" because I don't want to be bothered watering & mowing. I just want it to stay down there and keep the mud/dirt under control.
Area much too small for wooden decking, but thanx for suggestion.
Am zig-zagging back & forth in my so-called mind. As mentioned earlier, considering pieces of broken flagstone (if local place has them) with those tiny plants used in interstices of flagstones/pavers, etc.
Will look on-line for those "tiny plants", but if any come to mind, would appreciate the URL.
TIA
HB