geranium leaves are red

Does anyone know why some of my geranium leaves are bright red? For the last two winters I have had them in an unheated conservatory where they have been fine, apart from the red leaves, which seems to gradually spread over the whole plant and those nearby. Perhaps it is rust? They flower and seem to thrive through the season once the warm weather arrives.
snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk says... :) Does anyone know why some of my geranium leaves are bright red? For the last :) two winters I have had them in an unheated conservatory where they have been :) fine, apart from the red leaves, which seems to gradually spread over the :) whole plant and those nearby. Perhaps it is rust? They flower and seem to :) thrive through the season once the warm weather arrives. :) Guessing (with mine) the cool nights have triggered the plants to quit producing chlorophyll.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Its the same reason why tree leaves change color in the autumn.

Hi
Geraniums with red leaves have a shortage of Phospherus. Feed them with plant starter 10-50-10.
Derryl
That's spelled "phosphorous".
Actually Derrrryl, one should expect more intense leaf coloration while the plants are experiencing a winter resting period and cooler temperatures, They will be greener when active growth commences in the spring. A application of fertilizer in the spring is a good idea anyway.