garden hand tools

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.
Jen

I think you will know what to do with them instinctivly. You can always browse a catalog like Lee Valley Tools if you want to know what they are called or what category they are in. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/index.aspx?c

http://www.sneeboerusa.com/products.cfm
This site will describe most of what she got, plus there may be one that is almost straight out from the handle with a flat blade with a V at the end for cutting dandelion roots and popping them out of the ground.
Tom J

.....and you have not been clear at all either.

USDA Zone 8

Not knowing what you got, they could perhaps be: Trowel - Slices through soil to dig holes for planting. (shovel)
Cultivator - Easily aerates soil around plants. Thins seedlings and uproots weeds. (claw)
Planter - Neatly sized trowel for planting delicate seedlings and rows of small flowers. (narrow shovel)
Fork - Perfect for simple edging and loosening soil around plants. (fork)
Narrow Weeder - Sized for tending window boxes and plants with thin, delicate stems. (very narrow with V-shaped end for cutting roots)
Dibble - Forms perfect holes for planting bulbs and small plants. (conical)
http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_codeG4452&world_code =3&category_code5&subcategory_codeG4&search_type=subcategory&prodtemp =t1

They're the ones. Thanks