Flowers n Grass

Aside from pulling everything out and starting over, how are people managing the problem of all that grass growing thru-out their garden of gazellas (or whatever flowers)???

Do we just go out every other weekend and pick a little so it never gets out of hand?

Reply to
Steve

One method is to either mixup or simply pour off from an already-to-strength bottle a bucket of Roundup. Using thick, impearmeable black rubber gloves, dip your gloved hands into the Roundup, and then pull the blades of grass through your hands, coating the blades with Roundup as you do so. Once you get the hang of it you can go very fast. The grass will die back roots and all. Obviously caution is to be exercised using this method.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Mulch. Judicious application of RoundUp, as Dave says, followed by mulch. If annuals, or perennials with foliage that dies back completely, more liberal use of RoundUp on *growing* grass after the flower foliage is gone, followd by mulch.

Constant vigilance and regular weeding (accompanied by mulch) can do it, too.

Reply to
Frogleg

How does "PREEN" work? Is it effective? Would it be practical in this case?

Reply to
Will Renkel

Interesting idea re: RoundUp. Mulch doesn't *seem* like it would be enough of a deterrent though I will always remember now that some people are doing it merely by mulch/weeding.

I'm not a gardener and my school/work schedule doesn't even permit a lot of vigilence so I much appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Reply to
Steve

should i use a bit of mulch, too?

Reply to
Lynda

I have bermuda in one of my raised beds. The roots can go down 18 inches. I've decided this one particular bed is going to be turned over into a herb border with nectar plants for hummingbirds. This winter I will have to completely dig it all out, remove all the specimen plants, and really dig down till I find the bermuda. Then, possibly each season (4 per year) I will have to go out with a really strong sharpshooter and continue to dig it out till it no longer has a tiny piece of root which will regenerate itself.

Of all turf grasses, I find this to be the MOST invasive. On the other hand, if managed in a turf situation, it is greatly drought tolerant and doesn't have many insect or disease problems to speak of.

So, that's what I'm going to do. There are herbicides you can use, but many which kill grasses will also not be specific and can, with the slightest drift, kill other specimen plants. I don't use them, I wish my conscience would go away, but I don't use them because they are toxic.

As far as weed and feed products? The pre-emergent in Scotts 4 step program is atrazine. It is found in our aquifer and is the largest concentration of herbicide found in Barton Springs Pool, which is a natural pool in downtown Austin.

Herbicides like that are very water soluble. Just make sure if you plan to use any of them to read every word on the label first.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux