Flowering Cherry in Pacific Northwest

I am interested in planting a flowering cherry or crabapple in our backyard. Do these trees require sun in the winter when they are dormant or can the spot be shady in the winter as long as the tree gets sun in the summer? I am looking for a variety that would do well in the pacific northwest in the 20' - 30'(max) height range. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
I'm also in the Northwest. These trees can do fine in winter shade, but they should start to get sun at least by the equinox (third week in March) if they are to bloom properly and leaf out properly. You can check where the angle of the sun will be very shortly (third week in september). If you wait and plant the tree then, you'll ensure that the tree will be in a good growing environment. At least in my area, these trees will bloom with about 1/2 day of good sun.

Any particular varieties anyone had great luck with? I looked at some crapapples, flowering cherries and a hawthorne tree this last weekend at the nursery?
Sonia Van Tassel
presley wrote:

Sonia Van Tassel wrote:

We have a Kwanza cherry but it is only a couple of years in the ground. So far so good.

USDA Zone 8

Here's my article on the Kanzan (obsolete spelling Kwanzan) double-flowering cherry: http://www.paghat.com/kanzan.html
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Hi,
Thanks. I was looking at that variety actually. We might try that one.
Sonia Van Tassel