Fertilizer for slow growing plants

Page 2 of 3
paghat wrote:

See my other post.

USDA Zone 8

Travis, you're getting sidetracked. Now Tom'll be able to make fun of your for implying insecticides are necessary to get rid of aphids. You missed entirely that in response to your request for scientific data favorable to compost tea, he provided promotional literature derived from crazy Elaine Ingham, who fabricates data strictly to promote her compost tea company. Tom's "best" science is vendor indoctrinating literature. By slight of hand he persistently avoids actual data & supplants it with vendor promo pieces by the likes of Steve Diver & Elaine Ingham.
I don't use insecticides & a little surprised you do. Very curiously, I've just never needed them! If I did come up against somethiung that couldn't be handled organically, I might be tempted by nasty toxins, who knows, but so far organic methods have been totally successful, while some of my chums who are not organic in their gardening approach have insect troubles all the time no matter how many chemicals they slather on everything.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
paghat wrote:

I only use it on roses. It is all gone now and won't buy any more next year. I do use Neem oil and another Bayer product to try to control mites on my bamboo. If anyone knows the secret to controlling or eradicating bamboo mites *please* let me know.
Thanks

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:39:40 GMT, "Travis"

Proper watering, cultivation, fertilization, and hygiene. If you have mites on your bamboo, they are in some major type of stress. Major.
Victoria
Bourne Identity wrote:

Is that how you get rid of the bamboo mites on your boo?

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:43:47 GMT, "Travis"

I've never had mites on bamboo. However, I water properly when needed, I cultivate properly, fertilize appropriately and clean up broken, damaged or dead material from the ground. The plants are also adequetly mulched. I'm not being a smart alec, but because I'm organic, I have much less insect problems because I have green lacewings, and many other beneficial insects.
Victoria
Bourne Identity wrote:

How lucky you are to have mite free bamboo.

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:53:35 GMT, "Travis"

It has nothing to do with luck. Did you not just read the method I use to make healthy the plants, which are no longer attractive to pest insects and mites? Or, did you discount it all so you can rationalize your use of pesticides which are outrageously toxic?
Hmmm.
Bourne Identity wrote:

I do all those things.

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:39:40 GMT, "Travis"

Compost tea to develop a soil food web capable of cycling nutrients in plant available forms...
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
Tom Jaszewski wrote:

I'll get right on it.

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:54:37 -0700, Tom Jaszewski

Tom, with all due respect, microbes exist in all healthy soils and can be obtained with the application of healthy compost (not biosolids). Clearly, I did not use aerobic comnpost tea in '93 and when I stepped on a cultivator clear through my foot, I was infected with myriad mycobacterium for 18 months.
So, while aerobic compost tea is a tool, it is not THE answer to all gardening problems.
victoria
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:08:36 GMT, Bourne Identity
That's a good one, how many yards after years of "educated" chemical use have "healthy soils"?

Composts can vary greatly and results like with tea can be mixed unless we can control the biological makeup. BTW we can do that to a point!

I'm not sure what that proves...that mycobacterium were present especially those that will infect humans...doesn't sound very balanced to me! :>)

It is a major tool in soil development, and as you know disease and insect suppression by natural methods are only possible with an eclectic approach.

Thomas
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:48:28 -0700, Tom Jaszewski
-

People who used chemicals do not have healthy soils. I made that clear. Hey, I am on your side.

Yes, I agree, but I also said "healthy" compost. So, what people should learn is who is making it, what is used, was it set up in wind rows, innoculated, etc.

In particluar, M. abesssus chelonae and it is associated with animal manure. My last house was built on someone's farm.

Of course, but as we know, people are lazy, lazy, lazy. Not only won't people take their kitchen waste to the pile, they won't HAVE a pile. They think it's dirty, disgusting, rotting, smells, you name it.
I remember on these boards and the boards of Prodigy way back in the 80s when Bargyla Rateaver was called a kook and a nutcase. She PROVED a root hair can uptake a whole molecule. I have her huge volume here. Because she published her own work, she was discounted. She dedicated her entire life to this work and was regarded as a nut.
I'm on your side, you know that. With aerobic tea, people simply won't make it and when they do, they are probably making it incorrectly so it's useless for their intentions. That, was my point, actually. Devil's advocate, so to speak.
Victoria
Bourne Identity wrote:

How is setting up compost in wind rows important?

USDA Zone 8
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:16:27 GMT, "Travis"
It is the most effective way to culture the biology and manage the thermophilic processes needed to truly finish the compost.
Tom Jaszewski wrote:

Does one need to be more specific or is just saying "wind rows" let everyone know all they need to know.

USDA Zone 8
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:33:26 GMT, "Travis"

I was using the term when making reference to finding a source of healthy compost. This method is used in commercial soil yards, not by most home gardeners. Tom is a professional grounds keeper for a rather elaborate garden, so he knew what I meant. I did think I explained it to you, though.
It's a much larger scale of having two compost bins so you can turn the compost over into the next bin.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:16:27 GMT, "Travis"
BTW Why not trim your posts and not waste all the bandwidth...and make your questions easier to ferret out of the post?
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:15:46 -0700, Tom Jaszewski

I thought the same thing, but decided bandwidth is probably a thing of the past! LOL. I should have read your response first and I would have wasted less.