Dumb(?) Q

My wife says poppies can be grown from bulbs -- can they? Thanks Paul
No! But genetic engineering might get around to it someday! Best Wishes Brian.

Oh really, Brain?
You want to be an engineer on that genetic choo-choo train?
Maybe someday a man will walk on Uranus too?

Romping on the carpet, just now, with my grandson, I'm sure he did walk on it!! Feels like it anyway. Best Wishes.

Must be nice to have a wife who is wrong at times? I've never had one. Pretty but not pretty stupid!! Ask her to forgive me~~Best Wishes

Don't be so quick to judge, Brian.
Maybe she knows something you don't? Did you ever consider that? Do you know the growth form of every species in the Papaveraceae?

Yes thank you. The Papaveraceae are dicots. By definition only monocotyledonous plants have bulbs. Nevertheless, had it been my wife, I would have agreed with her!! There is, however, a poppy known as the 'Tulip Poppy' [P. glaucum] and this could confuse? The RHS does describe some of the fruits as 'bulbous'. Best Wishes

Not true that only monocots can be true bulbs.
There are a number of Oxalis that are true bulbs and some species of Dicentra fit the definition as well. There are probably more examples among the dicots.
The fruit of some poppy species are bulbous shaped but they are actually dehiscent capsules.

Name a poppy that is bulbous.
Oriental poppies are tuberous rooted.

*lightblulb* Is THAT whats coming up in my garden??

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:30:44 GMT, "Paul Paulsen"

Most named varieties are propagated by root cuttings, could be she's mistaken those for "bulbs." They're generally taken in the late summer when the poppies are dormant ..or as dormant as they get for you.
Don't feel too bad, some people call crocus and gladioli corms bulbs too.
Janice