Dropping hibiscus buds

Why do the buds on my hibiscus turn yellow and drop off about two days before they should open? The other buds are okay and look a healthy shade of green but when they get to a certain size -- and just as I can see the color of the petals inside as it begins to unfurl -- they turn yellow and either never bloom or just drop right off.

Any suggestions?

Giselle

Reply to
Volfie "WackoURa2x4.com" Jac

Too much water, too little water?

Reply to
Diani

It gets just what nature provides but I think we're right on target with rain here. Should they have a LOT of water? Since I'm on a well, I don't have enough water to water my outside plants so they have been fending for themselves but the neighbors seem to have HUGE hibiscus and I doubt they water either. Could it be something lacking in the soil?

I also have some very tiny Rose of Sharon plants that never thrive and have that light green color to them, too.

Giselle (just not good at anything except ditch lillies)

Reply to
Volfie "WackoURaSmallKnob" J

I had 5 different Hibiscus planted in the same general area around a fairly large oak tree. (The plants got *some* sun, but not full sun)

All 5 did very well, coming back larger each year and all bloomed profusely.

Due to the installation of a swimming pool last fall, the tree, but not the trunk, had to come down. One hibiscus had to be transplanted and it is now temporarily in a very large pot on my deck.

Of the remaining 4, (now in full sun) one came back to about the same size as last year, 2 are slightly smaller than they were last year, and one is now so large I'd swear it's achieved conciousness.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote

[..]

This plant has full sun. It couldn't get more sun if I planted it on my roof.

Giselle

Reply to
Volfie

Ask you neighbors what they are doing.