Dropping hibiscus buds

Why do the buds on my hibiscus turn yellow and drop off about two days before they should open? The other buds are okay and look a healthy shade of green but when they get to a certain size -- and just as I can see the color of the petals inside as it begins to unfurl -- they turn yellow and either never bloom or just drop right off.
Any suggestions?
Giselle
Too much water, too little water?

It gets just what nature provides but I think we're right on target with rain here. Should they have a LOT of water? Since I'm on a well, I don't have enough water to water my outside plants so they have been fending for themselves but the neighbors seem to have HUGE hibiscus and I doubt they water either. Could it be something lacking in the soil?
I also have some very tiny Rose of Sharon plants that never thrive and have that light green color to them, too.
Giselle (just not good at anything except ditch lillies)

I had 5 different Hibiscus planted in the same general area around a fairly large oak tree. (The plants got *some* sun, but not full sun)
All 5 did very well, coming back larger each year and all bloomed profusely.
Due to the installation of a swimming pool last fall, the tree, but not the trunk, had to come down. One hibiscus had to be transplanted and it is now temporarily in a very large pot on my deck.
Of the remaining 4, (now in full sun) one came back to about the same size as last year, 2 are slightly smaller than they were last year, and one is now so large I'd swear it's achieved conciousness.

fairly
[..]
as
so
This plant has full sun. It couldn't get more sun if I planted it on my roof.
Giselle

Ask you neighbors what they are doing.