Dog Safe Fertilizer

I am looking for a fertilizer that is safe for dogs. I have two small poodles and I don't fertilize my back lawn very often for fear of hurting the dogs. I have only been fertilizing about once a year, usually in the fall right before I go on vacation. Is there anything out their that will not hurt my dogs, and is also easy to apply, such as the chemical based granuals.
Thanks
--
Billy

Hi You can feed regular fertilizer at any time. Just water well and it won't hurt your dogs.
Derryl Calgary

After a rain your pets should be safe to use the lawn.
Billy wrote:

hurting
the
will
based
As long as you're using fertilizer, and not weed and feed (fertilizer mixed with herbicide), once you sprinkle or it rains there should be no problem. And if you aerate before spreading, a good deal of it will fall into the holes.
--
Warren H.

==========

Top dress with compost.
Coffee grounds would work, too, but then your lawn might smell like coffee.
Few fertilizers will hurt most dogs, but some are more sensitive than others. I suggest using a slow release organic fertilizer.
Of course fertilizing only once in the fall is not a bad practice for many lawns.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Billy wrote:

The best time to fertilize is in the fall; fertilizing during the growing season only stresses the grass. And, the best fertilizer, IME, is one that's absolutely safe for critters: compost. It can be very easy to apply; just use your spreader. If you do wish to use a chemical fertilizer, still stick to doing it in the fall; keep the dogs off the lawn until you have watered it in or it's been washed in by a rain.
Chris Owens