dessert qualities?

I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE & STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE! :-)
Tom J who likes both!!

IOW: sweet.

Sweet apples don't necessarily make good cooking apples.

You notice I didn't say SWEET!! :-)
Tom J who knows a Granny Smith is better for baked or stewed apples

Didn't say they did. However, when something is promoted as having "dessert qualities" they don't mean mouth pukering sour.
dessert quality means eating it fresh, and not cooked usually, and usually sweeter. like a granny smith is considered a cooking apple as it is tart and hold shape when cooked and gives better flavor after cooked. a red deliscious is a dessert apple as it has a sweeter flavor., if you try to cook w/ it it just turns to mush and lacks any flavor after cooked. some apples are good either way like a windsap. with things like strawverries they usally have a sweet flavor w/ a strong strawberry taste and usually have a larger size. my favorite of this is honeyeo.
bob snipped-for-privacy@burtleburtle.net wrote:

The last time I ate a Red Delicious apple it was tasteless. They have been bred for the red color and damn the taste.

USDA Zone 8

I have had so many tasteless, mealy Red Delicious apples I've pretty much given up on them - until I bought a mixed bag of organic apples from the health food store last week. I brought one to work and was amazed when I bit into it. It was juicy, sweet, firm fleshed, and just plain wonderful. Hopefully the other two that were in the bag are as good.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

That may be true, but we weren't discussing other apple flavors, we were discussing the Red Delicious. I don't usually buy them, and I'm not about to start making a special point to buy them based on this one good one I've had in 40 years of apple eating. There are lots of other apples I prefer.