Strawberries

Hi

bit of a novice when it comes to things in the garden, but we have a planter about 3 feet high with strawberry plants in it.

I recall as a lad that we covered our strawberries in the ground with straw during the winter to protect them frost [I think].

Do strawberries need protecting from the frost? If so,any ideas on how to do it with this planter - it's far too large to move inside.

We live about 500 yards from the coast near Newcastle upon Tyne, and do get frosts.

Many thanks

Roger C

Reply to
Roger

Hereabouts, we can get down to -20C. Ground freezes in December, and generally doesn't thaw out until March or even early April. Our strawberries survive and multiply just fine. I don't think you'll have a problem, but a loose burlap covering over the whole thing won't hurt. Tie it at the bottom so the wind won't blow it away.

The straw is put under the plants, to prevent contact between berries and ground.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

I'm in a US Zone 4 gardening area, and have grown strawberry's for years. I find that putting some shreaded leaves on top of them in the fall is good, but not necessary. The leaves help protect the plant crowns from the freeze / thaw cycle in late winter / early spring, and will decomose over the summer, which helps maintain the soil.

Craig Cooper is a Minnesota home gardener. More of his articles and other gardening information can be found at

you can e-mail snipped-for-privacy@growersinfo.com

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Growers Information

Tnx to all for the advice. I think they will survive the winter without special protection. the North East of England can get chilly / frosty but usually not for long and a temperature of -5C is pretty extreme round our way.

Roger C

Reply to
Roger