Deer driving me nuts

Yes, I know. I used to live in Albany, when the slums were demolished to make room for the new office buildings, guess where the people moved to?

The last time that I saw Albany, it looked like a blighted and bombed out city.

Progress?

Ray

Reply to
Ray Jestheimier

For people in the cement business, yes. And the politicians they bribe in return for building permits.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Amen Bro! I say lets turn loose all those circus and zoo cats and let them get the deer population back under control!!! And if we loose a few poodles or small kids, that's a small price to pay!

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Wolves, actually. But, Oh! They occasionally kill cows. So we killed them. And there aren't enough to make a difference if we turned them loose. And not letting your poodles and kids wander around in the woods is a good idea too. Or better yet, don't live out in the suburb fringes unless you're prepared to deal with the fact that animals belong where you are, and you don't. Live with it. And quit shirking your responsibility to nature. You kill the predators, you better just step up and take their places. Get a life. Go take a hunter's safety course. Get a license. Get out there this fall and do your duty. And quit frickin' bunny huggin. Mother nature can't take care of herself any more. It's up to us. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in news:4108e8db snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

Asking men to avoid indulging in hugging (Playboy) bunnies is like asking a woman not to like shoes.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

*laughter* But I -hate- shopping for shoes. And I'd much rather go barefoot if I could get away w/ it in public. Murri
Reply to
Lady Blacksword

You *could* get away with it if we were allowed to shoot people who break glass in the sidewalks and leave it there. I wonder if my state assemblyman would sponsor such legislation.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

John, I bought a Cat/Dog Stop (ultrasonic repellant) from

to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden. It works great, uses a motion detector to increase the 9v battery life, so it lasts for months. With a Deer's hearing, I would expect them to be afraid of an Ultrasonic Repellant too.

I h>First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they

Reply to
normantci

That's three times in one day (& the day just starting) that you've spammed for this worthless product. And I'm annoyed with myself for at first mistaking you for a hornswoggled victim of some purveyor of worthless junk, rather than yourself the hornswoggling purveyor.

A warning to all: This spammer's persistantly recommended product is bogus. Though he pretends to be a satisfied customer for the bogus product, he has posted nothing but spams for this company, & seems to think he can pass undetected as a stealth spammer. So two acts of a crook: Pretending satisfaction with a product known to be bogus, & pretending not to be a spammer. Really three crooked acts, spamming newsgroups at all is just not done by any company that could be considered honest & competent.

See this overview of the worthless product, with university links in-text:

the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Nicely done ratgirl.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Snip

While I certainly applaud the anti spam work ... I just wanted to say that the particular model being recommended here does show some effectiveness in my highly scientific back yard and beer tests...

We have many feral and semi-feral cats in the neighborhood, they are attracted to the bird feeders / pond and tend to use my garden as a litter-box / lovers-lane. I've tried all sorts of things to keep them out and am always looking for something easier for me.. (after all I can't sit there with the garden hose 24/7)..

Anyway sitting in the yard drinking beer and watching for the cats and pointing it at them and triggering it they do leave the yard, casually quietly (supposedly humanely), but not at all satisfactorily (for me.. I want them to jump!).

The Squirrels and Raccoons don't seem to care?but neither do the birds.

The company that makes these things also makes the Scarecrow hose jobbie.. which has been the most effective area deterrent I've found, its only drawbacks are the fact that it is tough to set it so it wont spray the birds, and it leaks.

After the sprayer, orange peel and Cayenne pepper seem still slightly more effective than the ultrasonic thing..

For zone defense, I prefer the fi-shock fence? nothing seems to get past it and it should work for the deer in the OP.

Currently the fi-shock surrounds the pond and winds through the background foliage, orange peel in all the garden beds, and the scare crow covering much of the open area.

I figure I'll use the ultra sonic thing to keep them from crapping on the porch ? (I think I've offended them)

Anyway all these things are available all over the web there is no need to buy from spammers ?

Reply to
ajames54

If you have enough beer you can!

| Anyway sitting in the yard drinking beer and watching for the cats and | pointing it at them and triggering it they do leave the yard, casually | quietly (supposedly humanely), but not at all satisfactorily (for me.. | I want them to jump!). | | The Squirrels and Raccoons don't seem to care.but neither do the | birds. | | The company that makes these things also makes the Scarecrow hose | jobbie.. which has been the most effective area deterrent I've found, | its only drawbacks are the fact that it is tough to set it so it wont | spray the birds, and it leaks. | | After the sprayer, orange peel and Cayenne pepper seem still slightly | more effective than the ultrasonic thing.. | | For zone defense, I prefer the fi-shock fence. nothing seems to get | past it and it should work for the deer in the OP. | | Currently the fi-shock surrounds the pond and winds through the | background foliage, orange peel in all the garden beds, and the scare | crow covering much of the open area. | | I figure I'll use the ultra sonic thing to keep them from crapping on | the porch . (I think I've offended them) | | Anyway all these things are available all over the web there is no | need to buy from spammers .

Reply to
SVTKate

Weird.. your the second person in a week who has raised the concept of "enough" beer ... I just don't get it...

Reply to
ajames

Some is good, More is better, Too much ought to be about right.

Reply to
Crashj