Deciduous trees

What is the best time to plant these, spring or fall? Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Guss it would have helped to put my zone in Zone 8. Sorry.
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:00:43 GMT, no snipped-for-privacy@home.now (TSP) wrote:

TSP wrote:

Fall is said to be better in mild climates like ours, as the plants have the winter season to establish a root system without undergoing heat stress. However, I put in woody plants in my own yard from spring through late fall, and they all do OK. In any season, you must water them regularly after planting. That is more critical in the warm months.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
TSP wrote:

In mild-winter areas, now is a very good time. The soil is still somewhat warm from the summer and fall, but the air is cool. This promotes root growth while minimizing water stress on foliage.
However, you have to adjust this for the type of plant and climate factors other than temperatures. Some plants might start new top growth despite the cooling weather; then they will be susceptable to frost damage. Some plants are sensitive to cold wet soil; they need to get fully established before winter rains.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean