When to Plant New Beds - Fall or Spring?

My front two beds got a total rework this summer and are ready for planting. Both are only damp: no muck yet. But who knows when. It can be late spring before the ground can be worked.

Other than workable ground are there any other important considerations? Fall or Spring? Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

Well it would be nice to know what you are planting. We will start a new bed of asparagras in the spring but we've dug the trench and put manure in now so it can decompose during the winter.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko
[snip] We will start a new

We planted some asparagras last year, it seems healthy and we've taken a few stalks this year, but it's a new garden item for us. Do you have a good reference on how to grow asparagras? Location -- central Florida, garden has morning shade, afternoon sun and has been augmented with decomposing lake muck. Regards --

Reply to
JimR

Best not to harvest asparagus until at least the third growing season. Unless, of course, you've bought three year old crowns. Though, one year old crowns are probably optimum (and patience, heh).

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Agreed and then for 2 weeks the 2nd year up to 4 weeks the 4th year and 6 weeks the 6th year. Ph between 6.0 and 6.5. sidedress with 5-10-10 middle summer.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko