Best or good time to visit the Longwood Gardens?

Thinking of going there mid May or early June. Or does it not really matter?

What about crowds and better days of the week to visit?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kalmia

Been a couple of years since I went there but it was May 30 mid-week and was not crowded. Morning and I took a visitor from the UK.

see they have a website:

in your frame would probably not make much difference and would make practically no difference inside their large greenhouse.

Back when our kids were young, we spent many a Sunday walking there as it was free.

Reply to
Frank

Very late May or early June is good. Many plants are flowering then. The peonies are still in bloom then (something I can't grow in my climate).

We were there two years ago, on Memorial Day weekend (Saturday, 24 May

2008). It was not overly crowded. In the early evening, we enjoyed a band concert that was included in our day's admission; it was the first concert of the season. After dark, there was a sound-and-light show involving the fountains and recorded music, also included. Our admission tickets allowed us to leave for dinner and return for both shows. If you are interested in such shows, check their calendar.

While you are in the area, also visit Winterthur, just across the border in Delaware. While the main feature of Winterthur is the du Pont mansion and its collection of antiques, the gardens alone are worth the trip.

Reply to
David E. Ross

They used to offer a discount on Tuesdays, I'm assuming because that was their slow day. No longer is this discount available, but I'd say go as early in the day as you can and plan 3 hours inside and 3 outside.

You can get your hand stamped and go out for lunch or dinner and return to the garden, there are plenty of restaurants in the area to choose.

Reply to
immike

Longwood is about two weeks after us though South of us but due to their elevation. Our tree peonies are starting to unfold but azaleas look like another 2 weeks here. The 3 days of almost 90 F. have things in disorder. One nasty disorder is the local mosquitoes caused me try personal electronic chasers which seem to help.

I'd call them and ask as with just a large garden many plants are coming and going all the time.

Reply to
Bill who putters