daylilies

Some of my daylilies hardly bloomed or didn't bloom at all. Any one else have this problem? I don't know if it was because of the wet summer that we have been having or because some of the daylilies are being shaded out by other plants that have just grown so BIG. Maybe it's time to transplant to more sunny spots?
Thanks Bebra
NE PA zone 6b
Maybe they need fertilizer?

Could be, I have never fertilized them. They are about three or four years old. Is it too late in the season to fertilize? thanks
Barbara
NE PA zone 6b

Barbara Yanus wrote:

More sun.
USDA Zone 8b
Most need lots of sun for good blooms.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:01:26 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"

More sun should help. There is also a tendency for daylilies to sort of die down in the center (of a clump, not individual plants) as they expand at the edges. Digging up, dividing and transplanting is beneficial.
The fall is a good time to transplant? thanks
Bebra
NE PA zone 6b

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:49:11 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"

I haven't a clue. With hard clay soil and a bad back, I've never even tried. Since they die down in winter (here), it seems logical that transplanting as the foliage is dying down (but not so gone that you can't find 'em) would be a good idea. Don't take my word for it. I'm sure there's lots of expert advice available.

Update: My Sunset NE Garden book arrived yesterday, and I looked it up. Divide/transplant daylilies in early spring or late fall. You're in luck!
Hi! I had the same problem with my daylilies last year, then i remember the garden centre where i purchased them said to separate them, because they will spread, and do need plenty of sun. This year i transplanted some of them, and they are thriving inspite of all this rainy weather we too, have been having. Hope this helps! Good-Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! peppergirl Please feel free to check out my website. Click on below. http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com /

Well they are only about 3-4 years old. I thought that was too soon to seperate them. My most beautiful one, Purple Mt Majesty is very sparce. It doesn't have many leaves at all. I would be afraid to seperate that one. But that is on that has been shaded by a Meadow Rue, that has gtown so BIG...maybe I should just transplant to a sunnier spot? thanks
Bebra
NE PA zone 6b

Barbara Yanus wrote:

Daylilies really do prefer full sun; if yours are shaded, you should move either them or the shading plants. However, you're in luck, as now is the appropriate time to transplant them.
Chris Owens

Now is not the appropriate time to transplant anything in Texas. It may be okay where you live, but not in the south or southwest. Unless death is the goal.
I am in NE PA, so I guess I am in luck???
Bebra
NE PA zone 6b

Well, no. I wouldn't transplant them till fall gets here, but YMMV. I lived on Long Island for 37 years and it was zone 6b. I didn't transplant anything till at least after Labor Day. At that time, you can amend the soil and add some fertilizer (I like soft rock phosphate) in the holes where you're moving the daylilies.

It's not the right time to transplant day lilies here either, if the authorities I read are right. They said to transplant after flowering but at least 6 weeks before frost. Well, there isn't that long here between the 2 events, and so here in Zone 3 they should be divided in spring. Transplanting now for the original poster may be right, but not for everyone.

That was my point too, entirely. People answer questions with their garden in mind.

When is your first frost? If it's more that 6 weeks away, then yes, you can divide and transplant.