Cutting Queen Anne's Lace

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping after cutting?
Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.
--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the water frequently.

Nope, no wires allowed. It's for a fair entry. No wire, no tape, no nuthin' cept' water and a vase. (I suppose there could be something added to the water but it can't be visible.)
in

Ah I thought so. I used to be a devoted fair flower arranger. Entered every bloomin' class. It was a good way to make garden money, but it sure did take over your life!! I didn't enter at all this year and the feeling of freedom was great! (we went camping instead) Emilie

I only discovered the fair last year. Had two entries in the flower class, seven in the Arts and Crafts. Cleaned up in Arts and Crafts but in the intervening year, I took the Master Gardener course and I'm now scheduled to work the fair during the flower show this year. There is one entry called, "Road To The Fair" where you are supposed to find the stuff for the arrangement ON THE WAY to the fair. Last year everyone used QAL and every single one looked like crap by judging time. I'm only playing around with the thought of entering this year but I thought I'd be ready in case I decided to play the night before the event. :)
Okay, next question: I'm looking for herbs (HAS to be herbs) with common names (or Latin ones if they exist) that have to do with money. I've come up with Pennyroyal and Lamb's Quarters, so far. I need two or three more. Any ideas? Obscure names will do as long as they are really legit.
On 7/8/07 7:11 AM, in article f6qgpj$oe4$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

Moneywort Lysimachia nummularia
Money Plant Lunaria annua
dollar weed Rhynchosia reniformis
Penny cress Thlaspi arvense
or if you want to really stretch the money theme...... Shepard's Purse Capsella bursa-pastoris
Those are all I can think of just off the top of my memory. Can't think of any having to do with nickels and dimes, there are some herbs with 'pence' and 'pound' in the name but not sure if you need this to be only USA currency.
Val
dont know if it will work, but with water lilies you wait til they open and then put them in the frig and keep em cold and they wont close. this is used when making wedding bouquets. Ingrid

Well I entered a limited amount of things. Got six or seven blue ribbons, a Champion ribbon for Herb Collection and Reserve Grand Champion in Arrangements for a teeny little thing less that 4" big at any point. Not bad for my second and last fair.
BTW, burning the end of the Queen's Anne Lace worked like a charm. Thanks for that suggestion, whoever had it. (Sorry, too tired to go back and look for the post but I have thought of you kindly the last few days.)
FragileWarrior wrote:

been wondering where you got to, and how things went at the fair. congrats on your winnings!

Thanks, Rachael. I'm packing up to move home. I even gave away my Checkerboard Herb Garden (which produced the blue ribbon cut of Dill, btw :) so I'll be MIA quite a bit for the next month or two. I guess the good part of going somewhere else is getting to start a new garden AGAIN. The bad part is leaving behind your favorites. :(
On 7/24/07 7:53 PM, in article f863d3$a4j$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

FragileWarrior wrote:

ugh...leaving behind favorites is never good fun. have a safe trip

That is quite an accomplishment! Those miniature arrangements are every bit as difficult as a standard sized one. Many people never are able to get the scale right.
So, well done. I bet you will enter again, it's in your blood now lol Emilie
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:40:17 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from drooping. Haven't tried it.
Easy trick to try on QAL.
Charlie
On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, Charlie wrote:

FW if Charlie's idea doesn't work, try putting the stem in boiling water for a few seconds and then plunge the stems in cold water all the way up to the flower heads overnight if possible.
(you must be entering flower arrangements in the county fair?? have been wondering where you were!) Emilie NorCal

Thanks Emilie, for this tip, hadn't heard or tried this.....duly noted and remembered. Does this work on any cut flowers or recommended for specific kinds? I hate cutting, or bringing home cut flowers, and they begin to wilt quickly.....makes me feel a bit like a murderer of some sort. :-)
So much to learn and remember.
Charlie
On Jul 7, 2:32 pm, Charlie wrote:

It works on many flowers, but not always on all. I learned of it by using it for hydrangeas, which were just awful about drooping down all of a sudden. It's also good for reviving roses that have developed an "air lock" or a bubble of air in the stem that prevents the drawing up of water. (To avoid this: Cut roses and then _immediately_ plunge into a bucket of lukewarm water up to their heads.Sometimes florist roses will droop and who wants to lose those at the price you pay) Yes, a lot to try to remember.........there are whole books just on the conditioning of cut flowers.........
Emilie