Cure for dog urine smell outside?

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of urine. Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my dog? Thanks
Nope, all the treatments I can think of involve ways of getting rid of the incontinent beast.

This kind of treatment? http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?modelU01&return=Y

of
my
how about baking soda?
--
Paulo
"Bob" < snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
No thanks.
It give me gas!!
Do you mean giving it to the dog?

of
my
Bob wrote:

Dilute the product by heavily watering the toilet area.
-> Hi, -> I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam -> around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of -> urine. -> Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my -> dog? -> Thanks
How about hosing the area down once a day?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Lime can be sprinkled over the area and watered in and will help, but really, daily hosing is the only thing that works well for urine. I'm assuming you are scooping the solids. Teaching your dog to go in one particular spot instead of the entire area would also at least confine the problem. You could gravel in in and then it would be feasable to use some of the organic septic system treatments that digest waste to speed up the process.

what about lime?

This is from my compost note:
Many gardeners with a high proportion of acid-rich materials to compost mistakenly add lime to their pile to produce compost with a balanced pH. Unfortunately, adding ground limestone will turn your compost ecosystem into an ammonia factory, with nitrogen rapidly lost as a noxious gas.
Regards, Wong
-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

of
my
Also useful when you bury the stinking animal.

Go to any of ther major large pet suplly stores (Pet Smart, Pets Plus etc etc) and they have a gallon container of stuff you can spray on the area and the smell will go away without doing any harm to whats growing there or the dog. It will take a heap of water to wash it away even with baking soda etc, which is probably going to alter the ph of the soil in the process. All those daily leaks the dog has been taking has filtered down deep into the soil base and its gonna be a lingering problem...........without the proper nutralizer sold (some kind of enzyme from what I have read on it) Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Yeah, a leash and a walk several times a day.

Not only that, be sure to take the dog with you when you do.
Only a twit doesn't take his dog for a walk every day.
opined:

of

wet the area down thoroughly with some active yeast dissolved in water. keep the area moist. if you did not have live plants there, you could use a 10% chlorine bleach solution. Yeast is what is sold to process the contents of septic tanks, it digests the organic waste and thus removes the odor.
hermine
I use a good shot of Joy dish soap into a gallon of water to cut odor. Ingrid

Just watering the area should be enough, but if not, then churn the soil to loosen it up in the area, reseed the grass (or plant a flowering shrub if the dog doesn't need the entire space), & keep the area well-watered. Watering will wash the urine deeper into the soil where microorganisms break it down into healthful nitrogen. It is only urine close to the surface that is working up an unhealthful bacterial colony that releases ammonia.
-paghat the ratgirl

Yep. Pass the problem on to your neighbors.
Bob

No, that's not what I said, nor implied. We have a large backyard and when our Ozzy was alive he'd have free reign of the garden whenever he wanted. However, we also took him on walks every night and morning so he, too, could get out and see things other than our yard. We'd take him to an open field or lot, or place where he didn't pee on anyone's things. Leaving a dog in a run to pee constantly in one spot is not only cruel, it's disgusting for the dog and the owner forcing those conditions on the poor dog.

A good watering followed by spreading a few pounds of sugar over the surface followed by another watering. The sugar will provide a large amount of carbohydrate to feed the soil bacteria who will tie up the excess nitrogen in their bodies as they multiply instead of outgassing all that ammonia and stink. A 5lb bag spread over a 10'x20' area would be a good start, repeat in a couple of days. Other sources of carbon such as sifted compost will help keep the soil healthy and allow the soil bacteria to break down the wastes. Don't let the soil go dry or bacterial action will slow down.