critter friendly yards

Page 2 of 2
I once saw a tv program dealing with yard habitat. Came away with the idea that diverse heights in plants have something for everyone. So have grass, scrubs, small and large trees and they will come. Can be appealing to humans too.
Here is a site that touches on water as well.
<http://www.eastbaynature.com/habitat.htm
Bill
--
Spam http://www.leraysvillecheese.com/ Many stars
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

That's the right idea, appealing to multiple species.

Long time, good to.
--
Charlie

"Can I see another's woe, and not be in sorrow too? Can I see
Bill who putters wrote:

Thank you, Bill! This pretty much parallels my current thinking, but gives me some tangible clues.
BTW, my Japanese maples... Sniff. I will be very sorry to leave my moonfire, especially. My shishigashira is the one that was incorrectly planted, while the sango kaku will be in peril. I will put these and others in one small area of the front yard. I do still love them, although my thoughts on what I should be doing have evolved over the years.
--
Jean B.

FarmI wrote:

Why not? I like you!

Oh, I enjoy googling and researching!

Heh. Well, this will NOT be near the house at any rate. I THINK I have absorbed that I actually want to discourage critters from being in that area! I wonder how close is too close (in terms of ground cover, etc.)?
--
Jean B.

Thank you Jean and I reciprocate that :-))

There was a woman who used to post here from somewhere in the midwest and she had a glorious garden on a house sized block and she ended up a single mouse in the house from a brush pile in her yard. That wouldn't have worried me given that I get mice (plural) in the house each spring and autumn (but I just noted that I haven't this spring - wonderful!) I guess it wouldn't be a problem if the pile is down the back and there are lots of other things around for the critters that shelter in such a place have plenty to eat.
FarmI wrote:

I have mice in the house here. It is an ongoing battle. (I don't know why in all the years here, the three cats have only gotten TWO mice!) I am going to try to be careful about keeping things, even welcoming groundcover, away from the house. I am envisioning the brush pile(s?) being on the edge of the wooded area. I want to see where the critters tend to come out and leave that clear, so even that may be after a lag.
OTOH, I do have that nice big downed branch here.... I should point out that I am only moving 2-3 towns away--depending on how one drives, so I wouldn't be bringing any foreign invaders to the new domain.
And that reminds me... I was going to do research on the Asian Long-Horned Beetle to see what trees they don't destroy. They are in this state, and it would be foolish to not think about that when planting.
--
Jean B.

i'd wait through a full year at the new place to study sun patterns & soil conditions before i started planting. use the time to map the yard & plan. my yard is a Certified Wildlife Habitat, as well as a Tree Farm (i like my signs, i do <g>). you can find wildlife habitat suggestions at: http://www.nwf.org/gardenforwildlife / lee oh, and wrap those Japanese maple trunks in hardware cloth over the winter. the mice & voles love to eat them.

Yes I agree with you Lee. Plan and research, Jean.
The NWF is a great source of information. They have a wonderful, beautiful book:
Attracting Birds, Butterflies and Other Backyard Wildlife. by David Mizejewski (he is manager of the Backyard Habitat Program) See if you can locate it. Pub. by Creative Homeowner books, www.creativehomeowner.com
(I also have a Certified Wildlife Habitat # 49465.)
Have a fun winter planning, Jean and let us know of your progress.
Emilie NorCal
mleblanca wrote:

Thank you, Emilie. I will order that book from the library.... Oh, heck, I'll get a book shop owner/friend to order one for me. It sounds like something I will really benefit from having on hand.
--
Jean B.

enigma wrote:

thanks for the advice--and the link, Lee.
Gee, I haven't had any problem with those maple trunks being eaten.
Oh yes.... Speaking of maples, I started looking into the Asian Long-Horned Beetle. On one hand, the advice is that all maples are very susceptible to them; on the other, they don't like any Japanese maples. No oaks seem to be susceptible. Now I am trying to remember why a friend of mine was worried about his oaks a few years ago....
--
Jean B.