Dumping 10 Yards of Dirt

Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil along the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the top of concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the driveway to keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to prevent breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

Reply to
W. eWatson

several 2 x 4's , turned up, should do the trick. Trucks come off the concrete, roll over the 2 x 4 pieces, and THEN drop off, and not break anything

you may want to stake them a bit at each end, so they will not be pushed over.....

or, a 4 x 4 placed adjacent to the part of the driveway that the trucks will drive off of, would do fine, but also try to stake it, so that it doesn't push over.

some bricks of the proper size would do well too.

probably the easiest/ best bet is the wood pieces

hope this helps // let us know !!

james

Reply to
James

=A0Trucks come off

Suggest you also be mindful of the weather and soil. If the soil that you're putting the 2x4s on is moist, they may just be pushed into the ground by the weight of the trucks and become useless after the first truck arrives.

Reply to
anthonymmfalcone

"W. eWatson" wrote in news:VSoqk.10528$L snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

Talk about a rush job.

Reply to
Stephen King

I have no idea how likely damage is or how bad it would be.

Did you contract for the earth yourself, or go through a landscaper or some other contractor. I understand the reason to do the former, but if the latter, what does he say to do? What does your contract say about damage to the driveway?

Reply to
mm

Around here, to drive equipment over sidewalks and such, they lay a 4x4 at the edge, and lay one or more sheets of 5/8 or 3/4 exterior plywood over it, going several feet over into the dirt. They even did the plywood thing to spot a rolloff dumpster on my asphalt driveway, when I had the roof replaced. (And now that I think about it, that area is more cracked than the rest of the driveway anyway...)

Are you sure trucking company will even drive on your driveway? Many decline to put tandem-axle dumps on thin concrete, at least not without a waiver. Around here, I see a lot dumped at base of driveway, and they tell you where to rent a bobcat. And is there headroom over your driveway for them to raise the bed? No utility drops or anything like that?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I would have the first truck partially open his dump gate and spread layers and cover that edge with a thick layer of top soil. I would be very careful about letting any truck on your concrete drive.

Reply to
evodawg

Yes, wood seems to be a good choice. I found some 2x10" by 10' that I think will be satisfactory. The reason for the "rush job" is that I'm getting this dirt somewhat free from a construction site. I pay $95/hr for loading and delivery, time. The soil is dry here. I'm told by a guy in the h/w store that driveways (no curbs) usually have more concrete poured under the edges. Yep, got some rods to hold the board in place. All in all I think I can maneuver them to areas where the driveway sides do not drop off. All except one place, which is where the board will be useful.

I'm really at the mercy of them. They were supposed to delivery this morning, but got behind schedule. They put it off until the afternoon. Same problem. Tomorrow, I hope. They really have a lot going on now. A week ago when the promised me they were mostly into grading, and forgot about me. Now they are hell bent to put in the foundations. 80K square foot building on a hillside.

Reply to
W. eWatson