Control/kill grasshoppers

Hi,
What methods are the best to kill the grasshopper population? I have a tremendous problem with these loathsome creatures. They eat everything I want to stay alive and completely ignore the weeds (it's a conspiracy, I swear). Pesticides? Introduction of a natural predator that, for some reason, isn't present here (yet)?
Thanks, Andy