Compare Prices on Garden Supplies CAREFULLY

Today, I went to buy gypsum to apply to my clay soil before the winter rains begin. While I never buy plants at a hardware store or lumber yard, I do buy tools and supplies at such stores.
I went to a nearby hardware store (about 3 miles from my house) and took a 40-pound sack of gypsum to the register. With a senior-citizen discount of 5%, the clerk said that it would be $12+change. I left the sack at the register and drove to a favorite nursery about 12 miles away. There, I bought a 50-pound sack of gypsum for under $9.
That is correct: 25% more gypsum for 25% less money. Both were 92% CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

How much is a gallon of gas these days in California?
On 10/30/2015 7:27 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Along the route I drove, I could get gas at $2.599 per gallon. Since I used less than a gallon round-trip, my savings on my purchase of gypsum was greater than the cost of gas. Oh, and I also bought some ranunculus tubers at the nursery, which I would not have bought at the hardware store.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 10/30/2015 8:29 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Same thing happened to me last year with limestone. K-Mart price was about 4X higher than Lowes.
BTW, since some one asked gas price, it is down below $2/gal here in Delaware.

I think it's going to cross that line in Taxachussetts this week--it was 2.00&9/10 Friday. Funny, it's about 20 cents cheaper there than in CT.
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 21:08:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"

CT has no income tax. The monies have to come from somewhere.
boron snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

What century do you live in? CT has higher income tax than MA, and has since the reign of Lowell the Last.
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 15:40:47 -0500, "J. Clarke"

By golly, I stand corrected. Been a long time since I checked, which was donkey years ago, when I was debating the move from NY to CT vs NJ.