Cleome

Page 2 of 2
Don't forget that cosmos (sensation strain) usually reaches 5-6 feet by summer's end - depending on soil, rainfall, etc. It's another self-sower. I had a friend who bought quite a few in flats one year. Gardeners came out of the woodwork to tell her she was crazy - (one pack of seeds will sow a garden full often). 15 years later she still has cosmos everywhere - and this year she sprinkled preen down in early spring to deter weeds - but cosmos sprang up unimpeded.

Make sure you allow plenty of room - right now my Nicotiana sylvestris' base leaves are almost 3.5' in diameter! Absolutely huge, they love where they're planted this year!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I had wanted to grow some tobacco plants this year but didn't get around to ordering seeds. I'm in Zone 5 Chicago but in the summer can an annual really tell the difference between zone 5 and zone 9? I really wish nurseries around here would carry some of these exotic annuals (well tobacco isn't that exotic or uncommon but it is around here).