Cheaper Lawn Fertiliser?

Can anybody suggest a source for lawn fertiliser at a sensible price? Boxes of stuff like Evergreen are all very well, but I need at least 4 to feed my lawn just once and I can't help feeling that they are overpriced.
I wondered about agricultural suppliers who may well do 25kg bags, but I'm not sure what to ask for.
Any suggestions?
TIA
Steve
Steve wrote:

Go to an ag store and get something like 15-5-10 for a balanced fertilizer, or 41-0-0 (agricultural grade urea) or 24-0-0 (ammonium sulfate) for straight nitrogen. (be careful with straight nitrogen.) Don't ask for 34-0-0 or they'll think you're a terrorist. It's usually faster-acting than would be optimal for a lawn, so go light with it and mulch your clippings so the lawn can recycle it.
Bob

I use a mulching blade for leaves but I wonder if the oak leaves around here put too much acid back into the soil. Any thoughts?
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

The soils in southern California tend to be quite alkaline. Here, there is no such thing as an organic mulch that is too acidic.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Not if you take ammonium-sulfate but if you insist on ammonium-nitrate, they may keep you talking until the Fee Bees (FBI) show up.

Actually if you take the ammonium sulfate you will still get feds, only the drug type as the tweakers are making anhydrous ammonia from it to cook meth.

Cripes. Around here there was an ongoing problem with the wankers stealing anhydrous from farm tanks and the suppliers.
I guess they get one source under control and another pops up.
Charlie
Charlie was forced to post this in: rec.gardens

We do have a huge meth industry in our neck of the woods though Charlie. If buying it is impossible they just steal it. Remember the guy a few years back that operated a meth lab in the trunk of his car? Damned thing exploded while he was driving it.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
On Wed, 30 May 2007 00:48:15 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

Same here and I do remember the explosion.
That fool deserved a Darwin Award.
They have busted several mobil labs (and a shitload of homelabs) in this end of the state in the last few years as well. I am about one hundred miles north of KC proper (lived in KC, KS side, a few years, awfully crowded and busy for this country boy, and no place to grow anything, including a family).
You be Careful, It's a Jungle Out There Charlie
Same problem here too - had a woman caught "cooking" it in her car - all inside the door panels and everywhere................... Going to a store and asking for cetain things can definitely raise some eyebrows........... next thing you know, they will be doing background checks on you before you can buy any fertilizer...........

rec.gardens

Here is what I use. It's bout 6 bucks a pint and covers most of my lawn. I use it 4x a year so it's about $24 a year for me.
http://gardeningzone.com/catalog/product_info-Hydrolyzed-Fish-Liquid - Pint.html
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:44:03 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

The fish sauce and pellitized fish fertilizer I use in the garden has a definite....fish smell.... and highly interests our cat and dog. I think I will try your brand. Thanks for the link.
BTW.... you're alright (except fer that violet murder thing) :-)
I tend to sharpen my poking sticks a bit much.
I'll try and blunt them a bit.
Care Chuck,,,,,errr, dammit.....Charlie
Charlie was forced to post this in: rec.gardens

I've been pretty happy with it. My back yard is small and it's a piece of cake to maintain. It's really shady back there and I usually have to over seed at least once, sometimes twice a year. The front is Zoysia and is being a pain in the ass. Some kind of fungus is killing it off slowly. I put in some plugs to patch it up a couple of weeks ago. I think if it doesn't take I'll just plow it all under in the spring and start over.

So are you and everyone else around here. I've picked up some pretty damned useful tips around here. I know Joe from another ng and he has a lot of knowledge even though he can be prickly sometimes. I still like him though because I get pretty damned testy myself.

Don't we all.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

Ah.
:::adding Charlie's name to the Violet Gang ranks:::
in: rec.gardens

Yeah well just be careful. If I get really p.o.d at the violets you're liable to have a truck load dumped at your front door ;)
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

cut your fertillizer input by 50% by using a sharp blade and returning the clippings to the turf. If you are interested in saving further then do a soil test, adjust your pH and apply only what is needed.
Steve wrote:

I go to Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) and buy their house brand of lawn fertilizer. Of all brands (including house brands elsewhere), it has the most nitrogen per dollar. Since I buy the fertilizer without weed killer, I also use it in my flower beds.
For plants that are heavy feeders (e.g., roses, gardenias), I use ammonium sulfate. With my alkaline soil, they appreciate the acid.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Thanks to everybody for the good advice,
Steve
milorganite......

After the meth lab post I didn't continue to read replies, so this may be a repeat: Go to any farm and garden store, feed store, horse feed, etc. and purchase alfalfa meal. It's almost all nitrogen and will give nutrition to the microbes in the soil which will indefinitely continue to restore nitrogen depletion. I never fertilize my turf, I only water and mow it correctly, use a mulching blade which is very sharp and never remove more than 1/4 of the blade when I mow...or I should say when my sweetheart husband mows. We have the greenest turf on the block.