Can "Yucca" be a English name?

I'm a Chinese girl, I want to have a English name. I like the word"Yucca", so could you tell me that can yucca be a English name for a girl? I wonder that whether the word has some bad meanings .
snipped-for-privacy@126.com wrote:

Go ahead, if you do not mind being called Yuccky behind your back. If your inquirey is serious, I know 2 Indians that changed there names (Sap and Cool Dip) after coming to US so you are well to ask. How about Rose?
Frank
There are also some positive references to the name Yucca, as in the character Dr. Yucca on the Ergonica website www.ergonica.com. (See the poetry page or garden tools for quotes from Dr. Yucca).
However, I agree that a girl with the name "Yucca" would probably get a lot of teasing in the US. Perhaps a take-off name like "Yuki" or "Yumi" might be more acceptable? These names have no meaning in US English, as far as I know. If you pronounce "Yuki" as YOO-kee, and "Yumi" as YOO-mee, or YUM-mee, you'll be safe and maybe even popular.
Best of luck. Welcome to America! -- Dr. Yucca is a fictional character. Any resemblance to a real person by the same or similar name is accidental and highly unlikely.
Frank wrote:

it is too close to the sound we make for something that is disgusting.. "yuck" Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@126.com wrote:

On 22 Jul 2006 03:02:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@126.com wrote:

meanings. Go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca
for information about the plant.
from Persephone contains these words:

It does have bad connotations to many English speakers.
In Britain, "yuck", and "yucky", are common English slang terms of disgust at something repulsive. There are probably fewer people familiar with the plant name Yucca, than there are people who know the term yucky.
Janet.
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:30:01 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Hah! Gotta share this story. I was volunteering at an elementary school, helping the kids, mostly Hispanic, some of them disadvantaged due to not much English at home.
Was reading a story about how some pirates ran off with their booty, when the whole classroom erupted in giggles.
Teacher kindly explained alternative meaning of "booty"
Persephone

The BBC compiled the list. Enough said.

That list does not appear on the BBC link you posted.
The link you posted is a different BBC UK/US "language translator", which does not support , or recognise, the contested translations on the list you gave.
Janet.

Wow, you mean they actually take off time from Jew- and Israel-baiting to do word usage? Maybe there's hope...

schmooze?
Jasmine or Jasmin**
1. It can be shortened to Jas by friends. 2. Doubt anything funny can be made out of it. 3. It's the name of a flowering shrub and the flower smells nice. 4. It has a Asian/Arabic context so ppl from those races won't find it un-familiar. 5. It makes a good fit with your Chinese origin. That's a assumption though since i don't really know how you look, but in either case it ain't too bad :)