Builder's sand?

Hi, I once in a while read in gardening books that certain plants should have "course builder's sand" mixed into the potting soil. Does anyone know what it is, and where to buy it. I have looked at places like Home Dept and Lowes with no luck. Is such stuff found in building supply stores?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

I use washed plaster sand. No, you don't wash it. The "washed" refers to part of the processing, when mud, silt, and other debris are removed. Plaster sand is used in making stucco, which gives you some idea of its coarseness.

I see washed plaster sand in sacks at various nurseries, hardware stores, and lumber yards. However, that is an expensive way to buy it. I take a 5 gallon pail (about 2/3 of a cubic foot) to a nearby building supply yard. For $1, they let me fill the pail myself.

A 50-50 mix of washed plaster sand and peat moss makes an excellent potting mix, but it needs nutrients added to it. See my for details.

Reply to
David Ross

The tube sand bags marked "traction sand" are pretty good. Otherwise look for sand and gravel in the yellow pages. Beach sand is too fine and rounded.

Reply to
bamboo

Reply to
Daniel

Ohhh... OK, another thought that is good.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

Are you looking in the masonry department?

I can specifically remember seeing medium and fine sand in my local Lowes last week. I don't recall if there was course sand there or not, as that wasn't what I was looking for at the time, but there were other sands besides the two I remember.

The key isn't "builders". It's "course". Builders is just a clue that you'll find the sand in the builders section, not the garden center.

Reply to
Warren

1) sharp sand, course sand, paver jointing sand (for between pavers), gardening sand, horticultural sand, river sand, course builders sand are very similar. They are course enough that water can drain through them and air can get in. Quickrete Patio Paver Jointing Sand or Quickrete All-Purpose Sand for example.

You shouldn't use:

2) play sand, paver base sand (bedding for under pavers, not plants). It is very fine and doesn't drain and doesn't aerate properly. Quickrete Premium Play Sand or Quickrete Patio Paver Base Sand for example.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

Hi Daniel, I went the same route you did checking the building stores and garden centers. The only place I found this coarse sand was in garden supply yards that typically sell other things like paving stones, etc. They sell mostly to landscapers. There are several in my area of suburban Chicago where you go with a shovel and empty sacks to huge bins with various materials. I fill my own, and pay by the volume of the sack.

Sherw> Hi,

Reply to
sherwindu

Possibly British books? Builders sand IS the sand that is available at any builders merchant/yard.. Probably your Home Depot or our B&Q or Homebase..

Its medium to course grained & used for mix in sand/cement mixes (concrete) and is usually relatively untreated (compared to say, washed sands or 'silver' play sands)

JimW

Reply to
JW

snipped-for-privacy@anemail.biz (JW) wrote in news:1gyyver.cyayotdlozv6N% snipped-for-privacy@anemail.biz:

Several people have mentioned avoiding 'play sand' or 'sandbox' sand because it is beach sand and far too fine, however the real danger is the sodium content of such sand, if it was collected from a coastal area.

'Builder's Sand', 'Blasting Sand' etc. is all good stuff and can be found in the masonry area of any BORG store (Big Orange Retail Giant)

Reply to
David Bockman

As is the "tube sand" aka "traction sand" which is more very fine gravel than coarse sand. Makes good substrate for aquariums too. But you can't find it in the summertime :-).

Reply to
lgb

Just to clarify, Home Depots here in Illinois don't carry the stuff unless it is pre-bagged, which it is not. You need a yard with open bins, a shovel, a sack, and a good back.

Sherw> "Daniel" wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu