Pest identification?

I'm a novice gardener, and this year I find that my garden seems to have attracted a lot of troublesome insects. Does anyone know a web site where I can see examples of pest damage, so I can identify the culprits?

Right now, something is cutting little half-inch tears all over the foliage of my coral bells, coleus, and just about everything else with big, tender leaves. I'm not interested in using poisons, so if anyone knows what could be causing this and if there is an effective, 'natural' way to stop it, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
cewolf

While you're investigating your bugs, try rinsing the bottoms & tops of leaves with a water spray. Some pests are only around for a very short time each season. Sometimes all it takes is to dislodge them from their snacks for a few days using water, and the trouble passes. Focus on the most vulnerable plants first.

For low-growing plants (and watering in general), this is a cool thing to have:

option is to brew some hot pepper spray. Simmer red pepper flakes until the water smells nasty. Pour through a strainer and spray the plants.

4-5 ounces of flakes to 2 gallons of water is about right.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

Bob Seaman

First thing I would do is get out there during the dark with a flashlight and see what's crawling around on the leaves.

Reply to
Toni

Will do....I shall do some investigating tonight and report back...

Thanks! Carol (Northern NJ, zone 6)

Reply to
cewolf

Nice site, but I don't see any recipes. Is there a generic marinade for things like tomato hornworms?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you have any chickens around, they will eat them as they are.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Well, I went out at 11pm and looked under the leaves...the problem is a small white insect with smallish wings and long antennae. Some of them were very small, and one was maybe 1/4 inch long.

I am going to look on the web to see if I can identify it. Any ideas?

Carol

Reply to
cewolf

Spray them with soap and water