Buffalo grass, any opinions?

I live near the top of a canyon close to Los Angeles, Topanga Canyon. Summers are hot, winters cold (by local standards...a few days of 28 deg in the winter_this winter down to 18.5 deg). I'd like to have some grass in my yard, but don't want to be watering it very much. The soil is claylike. Buffalo grass looks like a compromise if it will grow in this area. Does anyone have an opinion about this?
jc

Call your local sod sellers and ask. As far as I know, Buffalo grass is best suited to the plains down the mid-section of the country. It does like heavy clay soils and low fertility. Does not appreciate a lot of water. If it is a good turf for your area, the sod store will sell it. Call around and find out for sure, it 's hard to start from seed, but it is a beautiful plant in my opinion.
I agree with Jangchub about the grass. It stays brown most of the summer here in Kansas, unless watered or rained on. If you want something a beautiful green, and don't want to water, that isn't it. Other than that it is nearly maintenance free.
Dwayne

Do you have any idea what is the minimum amount of watering necessary to keep it green in summer...once a month? I've just read of a variety, Cody, whose range includes California...is anyone familiar with this?
jc

They are coming out with new hybrids all the time, but then you aren't getting the one and only native grass which can replace turfgrass, be mown, and needs no fuss. It does not like fertilizer and I would say it would stay green for part of the summer with about an inch every two weeks, but not green in the way you think of turfgrass. It would still be spotty and wild looking.
I am not sure what they are developing or have already tested and put to retail, but it is MUCH better than any other type of grass, provided it's in full sun all day.